need new tankmate ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
K, my 55g has 5 danios, 5 clown loachs, 1 veiled angel, and a pleco.

What would be a nice addition to this tank? The ph is ~7.8. I was thinkin maybe a few african cichlids? I have a fair amount of rockwork, and i plan on adding more.

The guy i bought this tank from had a 200g with a ton of loaches and several africans as well, this is what gave me the idea.

Any suggestions on specific species? Or is this a bad idea?

-David

you need Top dwellers and middle dwellers

how about another 2 angels + another 4 danios

You could add some africans if you wanted. If you add african cichlids you will need to get rid of the angel. The cichlids will destroy it. From the africans you can choose from mbuna which are more aggressive, peacocks which are more peaceful. There are so many options out there it is hard to narrow it down without having an idea of what you like.

If i were to add like 3 female peacocks and 1 male, would that overcrowd the tank? Also, would the loaches bother them?

If you did want to add Africans, the Danios and Angel would definately have to go. Have you checked at your lfs to see what is availbe to you in regards to Peacocks? The females generally do not have as much coloration as the males. If you are going for color, then I'd get all males.

well i certainly dont want to get rid of my prize Glofish, so africans are out of the question.

I think i like the idea of a bunch shoaling fish.

So maybe a few more zebra danios, and then maybe a school of hatchetfish or tetras?

What would be a nice mid-top level schooling fish for this tank?

Hatchetfish are top dwelling schooling fish. Occasionally you'll see them swim to the mid level, but they will stay at the top of the tank.

I suggested getting rid of the Danios because they will be lunch for the Africans. It's difficult to mix African with non-Africans beacuse they are more aggressive than a community tank. Even though the Peacocks may be a peaceful African, they are still aggressive. Plus, we have peacocks and I wouldn't really consider them to be peaceful enough to put with community fish.

i think i will add 3 angels, and a school of tetras like 8 or so, bringing my grand total to 5 danios, 5 loaches, 4 angels, 8 tetras, and a pleco.

Go for a mix of fantom and serpae tetras. They don't always school together but when they do they look really cool! 8)

how big is your current angel? just make sure you add angels of equal size or you may have some aggression issues.

Back
Top Bottom