Need pictures of what a sponge filter looks like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWinLDS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Bernie tried to explain to me the Physics behind it all and how it worked, but it was just too much for me. Anyway, I always hear about how people have sponge filters in tanks with fry and all that, but what is a sponge filter? I think it's just an airstone inside a filter media sponge, but I'm not sure. Pictures please, and not cartoon re-creations, actual pictures. I just don't get how that will produce a filter effect, if the air is being pushed out into the air stone, how is it sucking in water to filter through the sponge? I dunno. Just the real, actual pictures will do for now.

biochemical%20sponge%20filter%20m.jpg

Air bubbles go up the tube which causes water to flow upwards. The bubbles themselves do not do much of anything, it is the upward current they create that causes water to move up as well. The water that goes up the tube gets sucked in through the sponge. The sponge filters the water as the water gets sucked through. Simple as that :)

Oh... Whenever people talked about sponge filters, I thought it was that you got a piece of airline tubing, stick it into a pump, and on the other end you attach an air stone, and then you stick the air stone inside the piece of sponge. This looks more like those powerhead sponge filters you can attach onto the powerheads, or like an UGF where it's sucking water through somehow with a pump.

I have two Hydro-Sponge brand sponge filters in my divided 15 gal betta tank. They look exactly like the picture in Grimlock's post - the airline tubing runs down that center tube and is attached to a fitting on the filter's plastic core. Like you mentioned , people like them in fry tanks because there is no risk of having your precious fry sucked into a pump and pureed. 8O They are also great for fish that dislike strong current, like bettas.

If you get one, also pick up a gang valve to control the air flow as well as a flow check valve to prevent water from being siphoned into your pump and onto the floor when the pump is turned off.

Back
Top Bottom