Need plant ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mulch05

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a problem I need alot more cover for my fish in my aquarium and I'm unsure what I want as I'm sick of silk plants want some real plants but without the Hassel of ferts and Co2. I have sand substrate whats best. 1524327676736.jpg1524327692126.jpg

Most float java moss or let it grow on rocks or driftwood. , java ferns I think you can with sand. But not sure. I have mine wedged between a few rocks. They grow pretty good. Just to make sure you can Google it to see. I just know they don't need alot.

Most float java moss or let it grow on rocks or driftwood. , java ferns I think you can with sand. But not sure. I have mine wedged between a few rocks. They grow pretty good. Just to make sure you can Google it to see. I just know they don't need alot.
Bliss that's what I need get some have Moss balls then ??

So I have a problem I need alot more cover for my fish in my aquarium and I'm unsure what I want as I'm sick of silk plants want some real plants but without the Hassel of ferts and Co2. I have sand substrate whats best. View attachment 308534View attachment 308535
Look up "care for Elodea Anacharis" and Elodea Densus. Both are easy care beautiful plants. They can be anchored to the bottom with a rock. They will get their nutrients from nitrates and other things in the tank and sand is fine for them. It grows fast but handles trimming well. If a stem makes it to the surface, it will bloom small white flowers.

Anubias is an incredibly easy plant to grow, you can attach it to rocks/driftwood, or put the root (but NOT the rhizome) in the sand. I've literally had mine survive in a tank with no real lighting for over a month, and the get nice leaves that create nice hiding places. This is a pic of mine.20180424_184236.jpg

Anubias is an incredibly easy plant to grow, you can attach it to rocks/driftwood, or put the root (but NOT the rhizome) in the sand. I've literally had mine survive in a tank with no real lighting for over a month, and the get nice leaves that create nice hiding places. This is a pic of mine.View attachment 308616
Nice green thumb you have there. I rarely see Anubias without som withered leaves or half covered in algae. Good looking plant.

Java fern, anacharis, anubias nana, java moss, guppy grass, amazon swords are all easy. I have this thing in my tank similar to an Amazon sword but it stays a lot smaller that does pretty good.

Java fern, anacharis, anubias nana, java moss, guppy grass, amazon swords are all easy. I have this thing in my tank similar to an Amazon sword but it stays a lot smaller that does pretty good.
Think I will have to get some ordered as my tank just seams so bare. Putting live plants in will I need to run charcoal in my EF

No. You won't need to put carbon in your filter to add plants.
Sound as a pound min
Plants themselves are able to absorb and some toxins and use and/or decontaminate them. One example is the final substance of nitrates that are left after biological filtration. Nitrates are plant food. Just continue water changes as the plants my not be able to absorb enough nitrates to keep the nitrate levels safe for fish...especially in the beginning. Adding carbon won't hurt the plants, but it's not necessary.

Nice green thumb you have there. I rarely see Anubias without som withered leaves or half covered in algae. Good looking plant.
LOL[emoji23] I wish, I've literally had a broken tank light for weeks, I just managed to fix the lightbulb three days ago. These guys are just indestructible

LOL[emoji23] I wish, I've literally had a broken tank light for weeks, I just managed to fix the lightbulb three days ago. These guys are just indestructible
[emoji38][emoji38] well that's a boost. I have a 200ltr bow front and just a RGB led light set up nothing fancy really Gunna have to get a better light tho as the one I have just ain't cutting it for me

Guppy grass was mentioned in the second post. Grows like a weed. Great cover for fry. In the pic below, what started as a 1” sprig (arrived with a shipment of snails) has filled the tank and has been removed several times over. No fertilizers or any special care. Just light. This is in a shrimp tank. I have removed most of it though. I have ton of subwassertang now. It’s a moss/liverwort like plant that also requires little care.IMG_4724.jpg

Look up "care for Elodea Anacharis" and Elodea Densus. Both are easy care beautiful plants. They can be anchored to the bottom with a rock. They will get their nutrients from nitrates and other things in the tank and sand is fine for them. It grows fast but handles trimming well. If a stem makes it to the surface, it will bloom small white flowers.
As Toad mentioned, an Anubias would be great just behind the rock formation you have toward the front left. Then add just one planting of guppy grass toward the center...it will spread rapid accross the bottom on it's own. The guppy grass is nice looking accross the bottom of the tank, but it's the one you may have to eventually trim back.

As Toad mentioned, an Anubias would be great just behind the rock formation you have toward the front left. Then add just one planting of guppy grass toward the center...it will spread rapid accross the bottom on it's own. The guppy grass is nice looking accross the bottom of the tank, but it's the one you may have to eventually trim back.
Cheers I look forward to getting some and getting it planted and actually have a cool looking tank.

Cheers I look forward to getting some and getting it planted and actually have a cool looking tank.
Good luck. And even only one plug of guppy grass won't look like much in the beginning, it will spread quickly once it's adapted and begins it's growth. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom