Need Rainbow ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sp0ng3r

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving! I have a Rainbow I just bought and need to ID it. I feel like maybe it is a "mutt" but wanted to check in case anyone had seen it before. I think it was listed as an "Eclipse" or "Midnight" Rainbow in the store but in my research, I have never seen a rainbow with that name... The colors on this picture do not really do it justice as I do not take photos of my fish normally, but it is a dark blue, and has a bright yellow nose. The blue is much darker and more vivid than a Boesemani. but the yellow on the nose is the similar color.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 76
Melanotaenia lacustris is the most likely. There are several similar species in the trade (such as M. kamaka), but M. lacustris is by far the most commonly available.

Tony

Yeah, I am quite a fan. He seems to be keeping this color permanently. He has a very dark blue with a nice yellow on his nose, and he is just a juvenile. I am excited to see how he looks as he gets older.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Back
Top Bottom