Need salinity asap...or do I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ae123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Need salinity ASAP...or do I? And if so, what kind? And the white thingies on plec?

:confused::confused:My pleco has tended to get little white particles attached by very fine hairs on his back when the salinity is low. If I add aquarium salt at about a tablespoon per 5 gallons they fall away. Im not sure what they are, maybe ich. My mollies and platys don't seem to be affected but I have added the salt pretty quickly upon seeing signs in the past thus far. Any idea what this might be?

Also, I just did a large water change so salt levels are down. My gh read 13/14, and my kh read 8/9. Both of these numbers can go higher in all three types of fish. up to 20 dh i've read. This is relevant because I would like to raise the hardness as well as the salinity.

I have marine salt mix, brand Ocean. Can I use this instead of the aquarium salt?

I've read the optimal way to raise hardness is a combination of marine salt mix, baking soda, epsom salt--1 tsp, 1tsp, 1tbsp per 5 gallon. That is brackish. 1/2 to 1/3 or even 1/4 of that would be more tolerated by the pleco, pterygoplichthys paradalis--i think that is right.

I guess my question is: with these ingredients, what would be the best way to raise my salinity to the equivalent of 1tbsp per 5 gallons of the aquarium salt while also raising the hardness, optimally, to somewhere between 15 & 19 dh?

Can I add the marine salt alone without the epsom and baking soda? and then add them later.

I'd really like to get some salt back in the tank to keep these "attatchments" on pleco at bay until I can find out what they are and how to get rid of them.

Could they be something else--perhaps an algae or some other uninfectious substance?

Thanks,

ae123

I usually use normal, cheap rock salt that I dose with every water change in my Malawi tank. Takes care of parasites and my fish like it. Your plays might think differently though! Baking soda is going to raise your ph IME so be careful with that. On the same note, I'd advise against a freaky mix of 5 ingredients you never tried before. Dose 1 element, observe the effects and then move on to the next one.

Whoa, Australia! How cool is that?

Yeah, I tried adding a bit of the 3 ingredient mix then immediately had to do a big water change. I would go slower this time. It seems that ratio is a good one...which is why I'm considering it.

The marine salt alone would add some things. But the three together phased in in the correct proportions would be better? What about the marine mix alone. And how much to get the salinity @ around 1 tbsp per 4-5 gallons equivalent aquarium salt? And most importantly--perhaps I should change the title of this thread--WHAT ARE THE LITTLE THINGYS, ATTACHED BY HAIRS, on the pterygoplichthys paradalis?

You don't need to be using the salt, I only treat with salt if I'm treating for a disease, adding it is uneccesary as freshwater fish...well, they're made for freshwater :). I have kept mollies and plecos and platies without salt, I think you can too.

Yeah it's pretty cool here ;) sorry I can't help on the disease but as far as dosing salt: a fistful or two per 55 gallons loo. I honestly don't think it matters much. My fish are from an African rift lake which has high salinity by itself, that's why I'm adding it. All I know is that if a fish is missing a fin(they do fight sometimes but that's why I love them) I do a 50% PWC and add salt and it's grown back within a week. You can also try soaking your your food in garlic! There's some good info here: http://whokilledmyfish.com/2011/easy-cures-for-sick-fish/

Thanks guys. I dunno, but I think the white stuff might be ich. I'm relatively new to the fishkeeping hobby. The hairlike might be the cilia.

I hope the measures I'm taking effect a cure, but this stuff seems to be lingering...through a large bottle of rid ich plus w/salt & heat. Maybe I did something wrong but I could swear I followed the instuctions for almost two weeks, at least a week to ten days after visible signs on the fish were gone.

You know, I do have quite a few fry. Perhaps they have been allowing for this to fester.

My situation is quite baffling to myself. I'm sure there's a right way to go...but I still am uncertain.

Added some aquarium salt tonite after a 75% water change. They were mostly happy til I did that, except for the pleco who looked to have a few of those things hanging from him. The water change took the salt out from before. May have allowed a window for the "ich". Hope it falls off again.

I'm gonna have to think about it some more.

Back
Top Bottom