Need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10g tank established with 3 cory catfish and 3 white skirt tetras. They have been living healthy in the tank for nearly 6 months now. My wife decided to surprise me with 2 tiger barbs tonight to add to it. First of all, I know the tiger barbs should be in a group of at least 4, I can fix that later. The main issue is, she realized on the way home with the fish that there was water leaking from the fish bag. By the time she got home, the bag was deflated and had very little water in it, the rest having leaked out on the car seat. So she just emptied them directly into my tank. This concerns me for 2 reasons. The first, she got them from Walmart and who knows what crud was in the water that went in with the fish, or on the fish themselves. Second, one of the barbs is now swimming completely facing downward, face towards the bottom, tail towards the top. My quarantine tank is not running or cycled so I have no way to remove and quarantine them. Just unsure what I should do at the moment, Any advice will be appreciated.

You should try to return them unfortunately. Tiger Barbs can be very aggressive and a 10 gal tank is way too small for them.

As you hinted they came from Walmart(Not good) I would remove them ASAP and keep a close eye on the tank.

Unfortunately I cant remove them until the AM as I have no place to quarantine them. I did a 50% water change when I found out she dumped the Walmart water in with my fish. I'll do another water change tomorrow after I get them out of the tank. I just hope she has the receipt!

Here's a vid clip of my little 10g with the barbs in it. My Tetra's dont like them at all. They keep huddled together most of the time in the corner now.

http://youtu.be/_hd8-YsbwlM

You can place them onto your QT even though it is not cycled. It will not harm them over night.

Looks like we are going to keep them. I have a 20G that was a gold fish tank. Only has one shubunkin goldfish left in it that I am going to give to a friend that has a larger tank. The barbs will be a nice start to a larger tank. I just need to buy 2 or 3 more.

Back
Top Bottom