Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbygracex3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my 10 gallon tank set up for about 2 months now. At first I didn't know anything about the importance of cycling the tank or any of that but after loosing several fish in the beginning I did my research and now I know. So now my tank it's 78 degrees, it consists of 3 guppies, a glofish, a sucker fish, & a ballon belly molly. I have the API water testing kit and my nitrite is 0 ppm, nitrate is 0 ppm, and my ammonia is between 0.25 ppm and 0.50 ppm. Ive been trying to lower the ammonia for a while now and nothing is working. I've done daily water changes, I've used ammonia reducer, I've cut down on feeding. I could really use some advice cause I'm not sure what else to do.

I would recommend daily 50% water changes until your ammonia is at your desirable level. It doesn’t sound like you overstocked, but you didn’t mention a filter, so if you don’t have one, that right there is your problem.

What kind of 'suckerfish' is it? Depending on the species it could be the source of the ammonia issue, as a lot of them are sold as babies and actually get pretty big. Any way to get a pic?

Yeah, as mentioned above, even if the "suckerfish" isn't a problem now, more than likely it will be in the future a 10 gallon tank will not give it the correct amount of living space. Oto's may be the next best option if you want a "suckerfish" but I would stick with water changes and make sure your parameters get under control.

2-50% water changes if it's at .50 what ever your ammonia level is at you gotta double the water change. Don't let is get past .50 test day and night. Your test readings will spike pretty fast.

2-50% water changes if it's at .50 what ever your ammonia level is at you gotta double the water change. Don't let is get past .50 test day and night. Your test readings will spike pretty fast.
And try not to do too big of water changes at once. 50-60% at a time. If readings get high do a water change and then do another one right after.

Back
Top Bottom