Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need some advice on a 10gal

Okay, hear me out real quick:

I have a 10 gal aquarium thats been running over 10 weeks now. At first i had a pair of balloon mollys. After a couple weeks i ended up using bio-spira to cycle the tank. After this i got an albino cory cat, and 3 ghost shrimp. after this i got ich, and treated it with meds first, and then later switched to salt and heat. I think the meds destroyed the bio-filter, because ever since then my tank has not bveen stable. since then, my tank has not cycled, and the 2 mollys recently died, i was told it was "columnaris", the owner of the lfs shop said it was exclusive to mollies. I have seen a site that says its not exclusive. My fish also matched all of the symptoms except desintigrating fins. Anyway, so now i jsut ahve a cory cat and 3 ghost shrimp, and here are my questions:

1. Is what my mollys had contagious, and should i be worried about my shrimp, or the cory cat (both of which look fine), or fish i choose to add later? (my mollies symptoms were cloudy white small lesions (on his side and under mouth), redness under his eyes and by his mouth, hung around top corner of tank, wouldnt eat, lethargic, ocasional couldy eyes).

2. would 3 albino corys be okay in a 10 gal with a pair of smaller fish (maybe sparkling gouramis), and the shrimp? I have heard that they will, and that they get too big. Would i be better off with pygmi corys? if so how many?

3. as far as finishing cycling goes, should i stay with the 3 shrimp and cory i have now, and ride it out, or should i get another fish to compensate for the loss of the other two?

I also made the mistake of using rather "large" gravel, and have decided i want to switch to about a 1:3 mix of fine blue gravel and seachem onyx. I realize this might put me into a mini cycle, but ive stocked up on extra filter media, and ill put about 2 cups of the old grael in a mesh bag and leave it in there for a while when i make the switch.

Ultimatly i want to end up with a nice planted 10 gallon tank with the shrimp, a few bottom feeders (like corys), and a pair of smaller fish (the sparkling gouramis, or something, ive also been looking at imbellis, but ive heard that they may not be 100% peacful if they arent completly pure bread. They are only online, and i dont want to pay 60+$s to get one from an IBC breeder, so im still thinking about ordering them from a place like http://www.azgardens.com/bettas.php . There wouldnt really be any room left after this right?

Any comments, suggestions, advice etc GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 3 albino cories in my 10 gallon and they do fine, to answer your question about whether or not you should get smaller ones. They're very happy and active. I also have ghost shrimp (3) mollies, and guppies, and 2 snails. I know, before people yell at me for being overstocked, the fish are all happy, no problems with ANYTHING, no diseases, crystal clear water... I change out a lot of water every week, so I'm sure that helps. Plus, I'm sure the snails and shrimp help make sure there isn't any leftover food. Anyway, I just wanted to answer your question about the cories. Mine are fine. I don't know about anything else though. Good luck

Old 03-21-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Awsome, thanks. I was afraid i would have to get rid of my little guy!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, make sure there are a lot of places for them to hide. Mine hide in caves throughout the day. There are 2 caves I made and then 2 of those small rock cave things, like hwat you can get for wal mart for a couple bucks. They're in those most of the day, and I think that might be part of what keeps them so happy, they feel protected.

Tags
10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com