Need some advice on my fire eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zao

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello people! I am new at this aquarium stuff, but I bought a fire eel ohh about 5 months ago. I love it to death, but today I noticed that his eyes have a cloudly/ milkly look too them. I swear they where never like that before. I did have an accedient with my tank while back. where a lot of debree got cought in the filter system and when I went to change one of the filter pads all of that debree came flying out and the PH went sky high to about 6.0. So after a hole filter system cleaning a lot of pads and once a week 25% water changed. I think I got everthing back to normal. Couple of days ago I tested the water and the PH was about 7.0, ammonia was 0ppm and the nitrite was between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm. I did another water change today. I am going to test the water in a couple of days and see what it is at. But what I am wanting to know on, is that normal for a eel that have that, or is it because of my accident, if so is there a way to cure him?

If the fish is eating and behaving normally, I wouldn't be too concerned. You shouldn't have any nitrites in your tank though. It may be in the midst of a mini cycle. This could be the cause of the cloudy eyes.

I would increase the water changes to 10%- 15% daily (my cure for just about everything), and allow the tank to fully cycle. Hopefully the situation will correct itself.

I'm confused about your comment of the PH skyrocketing to 6. 6 is quite low. I think you might want to retest the PH.

Well the PH went acidic, when I had my accident. But that is back down to normal. But I am going to retest the water tonight and really see what it is that. But I went to the LFS today and they told me today that it sounded like he got eye cloud, she said it was a type of fungus. So she had me get melafix, and it is spouse to cure fin & tail rot, open red sores, open body wounds, eye cloud, pop eye, and mouth fungus. She said it was really good stuff for that. So I am going to try that and see what happons.

Back
Top Bottom