Need some advice on the Impossible of keeping eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanner.rampy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so I recently aquired a snow flake eel and I didn't do my research about what kind of fish they are and from what I have read they turn to saltwater......so I'm outta luck here. What I need to know now is can I raise the salinity in my tank to brackish and still have my cichlids in there? I've read a little bit saying that cichlids will do fine in brackish but I need some direct input!

Please help me out!

Snow flake needs to be in a saltwater tank ASAP! Brackish will increase stress for both and decrease their life spans. You can always save your snowflake by taking her to a responsible local fish store.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Snow flake needs to be in a saltwater tank ASAP! Brackish will increase stress for both and decrease their life spans. You can always save your snowflake by taking her to a responsible local fish store.

I purchased it from my pet store that I work at. It's not a saltwater snow flake it's what they call a fresh water snow flake.

I purchased it from my pet store that I work at. It's not a saltwater snow flake it's what they call a fresh water snow flake.

Even freshwater snowflakes are still actually saltwater. There are very few true brackish water cichlids and I can all but guarantee you don't have those species. I would recommend returning the eel, and looking into spiney eels (not true eels, but fully freshwater).

If it's sold as a freshwater moray it's most likely Gymnothorax Tile. There are a few other species of Gymnothorax but they're less common. The brackish levels they require would kill the Cichlids. Even the true brackish Cichlids don't naturally occur in the those high levels.
Also, they're extremely aggressive. I keep mine species only, with the exception of my CUC. Some saltwater hermit crabs and snails, in full saltwater. But I have talked to people that have had them tear apart anything else that moved. (Monos, Scats, Columbian sharks, puffers)

Back
Top Bottom