Need some advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 58 gallon Reef Ready Oceanic. I got a great deal on this tank so being reef ready had nothing to do with my purchase.

Initially I thought about running a sump or wet/dry to keep all the equipment hidden and out of sight. Well, after doing some reading and talking to several people I have decide against using a sump or wet/dry since I would really have to crank up my pressurized C02 system to compensate for the gas lost by running such a setup.

So my new plan is to purchase a canister filter, either a Eheim Thermo 2126 or a XP3 and an in-line Hydor heater, plumb in a DIY reactor on the return line and thus leaves only the canister intake and spray bar in the tank, which I can live with.

Then I though about doing something more drastic, which is where I need some advice please...

The overflow box could easily be removed, since it's just held in place by silicone, and it's centered in the tank - not worried about hurting the actual aquarium seal. This would leave me 2 bulkheads on the bottom floor of the tank.

I would insert both bulkheads but cap off the larger bulkhead under the tank, which was the drain bulkhead. Then I would plumb the return bulkhead into my canister return, paint a piece of PVC black, Y it out about 6" to 10" from surface and have it as my custom flow return.

Is this a feasible plan? Do you see any reason why this would not work, or why I should not attempt something like this? Throw some ideas around... let me know what you think please.

TIA!

How is this the wrong forum? Looks like the right place to me.

AND, I think that sounds like an awesome idea. Just keep an eye out for leaks.

I know this is FW... This tank will be a FW planted tank.

I guess because I mentioned the tank was reef ready you assumed I was speaking of something else. Maybe I should have said this will be a FW planted tank, but I assumed since I mentioned the fact I was using CO2 would make that clear. If not, sorry.

I'll post the same question in the SW forums, but I have a feeling I'll again be told wrong forum.

This is the right forum. He intended this to be a freshwater planted tank.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I think someone else on this site did something similar.

No need to appologize... I was not 100% clear in my original post.

I think some before/after pictures would be in order.
No problem! But I want some advice/suggestions before I do it. I don't see a problem with it but the more eyes and minds that "think" about it the better in my opinion. :)

If you'll take and post some pics we can help better. I might have the answer but I've not had a close look at how the drain/fill is cut into your tank. Your custom return sounds workable, BTW so post up what you've got and let's see what we can do.

ASpec - I believe now that everything is understood, the folks here can assist you. I noticed that you posted (and really clearly stated) in the SW forum. You will probably get the same answers there as in here regarding the sump/wetdry questions. A pic of the tank in it's current state may provide help as suggested.

Here are a couple of picture as requested. I don't know exactly what you need to see, if you need a different shot or view please let me know.

I would completly remove the "black" overflow box (tower) from the tank leaving only the 2 bulkhead holes and bulkheads left in the bottom, back of the aquarium.

Attachments

• overflow_203.jpg
    overflow_203.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 30
  • bulkheads.jpg
    bulkheads.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 32
Couple more pics from the top.

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 25
I like your idea. I think the Y will be harder to hide than a spray bar, and of course you'll need a valve on the return line when servicing the canister. Clever piping and valves would make draining for water changes real easy. I would be tempted to keep the overflow box and use it to hide the drain and return lines from the canister, and maybe put all the in-line stuff in there too, but this may be impractical.

It's out, finally! This was no easy task. Oceanic seals those things in there.

I've re-done my plumbing setup since I first started this project. The drain will only sit about 2 to 3" above the substate and will be easily hidden with some rock/driftwood. For the return I am using LocLine (Flex pipe). I can hide this as well once the plants go in.

As for servicing the canister - I have this covered. There are a series of ball valves I am installing for maintenace as well as a drain (for water changes) and I'm working out details on a in-line water replenishment (not automatic) system.

I'll document the entire removal (with pictures) and start a journal of the new setup this week. Just waiting on some final equipment to arrive.

Thanks for the suggestions/advice on this project.

Sounds sweet, man -- I look forward to reading your journal. Switching return and drain sounds like a good idea and PWC system is extra cool. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom