Need some clarification-corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been seeing cory cats more and more, and consequently have been wanting some more and more, but i'm concerned about trying to get any, because I hear they don't like salt. So help me here lol!
I add a tbsp of aquarium salt per 10g of water in my 30g tank, and every few water changes add some to keep up the salt-i do this mainly for my molly fish for optimum health, but the tank is a far cry from brackish. With water as hard as mine (18 dh), and basic as mine (8.4), are there any cory fish I could keep?

Aquarium Salt & Corydoras

I've been seeing cory cats more and more, and consequently have been wanting some more and more, but i'm concerned about trying to get any, because I hear they don't like salt. So help me here lol!
I add a tbsp of aquarium salt per 10g of water in my 30g tank, and every few water changes add some to keep up the salt-i do this mainly for my molly fish for optimum health, but the tank is a far cry from brackish. With water as hard as mine (18 dh), and basic as mine (8.4), are there any cory fish I could keep?

Hello d...

I keep a large numbers of Corys with my "Livebearers" and they have no problem with living in water with a little standard aquarium salt added. I've added a little more than a teaspoon to every 5 gallons of new water for years and all my fish are extremely healthy.

Most aquarium fish would benefit from a little salt in the tank water. Fish keepers have been using it for decades. The key is to keep the dose small. If you add too much, most aquatic plants don't like it. You want to avoid table salt, because it's processed and has additives that your fish might not like.

You don't need to be concerned with pH, hardness or any of that. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to most public water supplies. Just do large, frequent water changes, add a little salt and the water chemistry will be fine.

Go get your Corys. I like to stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume. They like to be in groups of 4 or 5 or more if possible. They don't have to be the same species. I have several different species in my tanks.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello d...

I keep a large numbers of Corys with my "Livebearers" and they have no problem with living in water with a little standard aquarium salt added. I've added a little more than a teaspoon to every 5 gallons of new water for years and all my fish are extremely healthy.

Most aquarium fish would benefit from a little salt in the tank water. Fish keepers have been using it for decades. The key is to keep the dose small. If you add too much, most aquatic plants don't like it. You want to avoid table salt, because it's processed and has additives that your fish might not like.

You don't need to be concerned with pH, hardness or any of that. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to most public water supplies. Just do large, frequent water changes, add a little salt and the water chemistry will be fine.

Go get your Corys. I like to stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume. They like to be in groups of 4 or 5 or more if possible. They don't have to be the same species. I have several different species in my tanks.

B

Fantastic,
I always like your responses, B, really clear and concise with good info. While I will ultimately have a brackish tank in the future, as archerfish are my "dream fish", I do only use salt lightly for health.
Thanks!

Just to make things clear, aquarium salt in an aquarium does not make it a brackish environment, there's many other trace minerals that contribute to "true" brackish water, which is why you should use a sea salt mix. Just making sure that was known :)

Oh I know a different salt will be needed for a brackish environment. I originally wanted to make my "livebearer" tank brackish at first with mollys and knight gobies

BBradbury said:

B

The only part I'd mildly disagree with ;) is the not needing to be the same species. Some may school with others but a large group of all the same species or 2 schools of 2 species is always preferred in my mind. I love watching my habrosus play with each other. Plus they are thinking of breeding for me :D

B
This statement is not fact, but an opinion. Freshwater fish have evolved to live in water without salt. It is an old myth, still being perpetuated, that freshwater fish benefit from the regular addition of salt.

Using Aquarium Salt in Fresh Water Tanks

Hello Bill...

My statement is actually based on facts. It has been proven that tap water treated with standard aquarium salt stimulates gill function in aquarium fish allowing the water to pass through the tissues more easily, allowing the fish to breath more easily.

Many of the hatcheries currently breeding "Livebearers" are in areas of the country that have a trace of sodium chloride and electrolytes necessary to sustain a healthy fish immune system. Fish can live without added salt, but do so with a lower resistance to disease.

B

I'd watch when you say "fish" because several species will not tolerate ANY aquarium salt in their water, like corys and plecos...

Schooling vs Shoaling

The only part I'd mildly disagree with ;) is the not needing to be the same species. Some may school with others but a large group of all the same species or 2 schools of 2 species is always preferred in my mind. I love watching my habrosus play with each other. Plus they are thinking of breeding for me :D

Hello C...

I need to "split hairs" a little here, but in a nice way. Corydoras aren't schooling fish. They may swim in groups, but don't move in the same direction and speed like Tetras. Corys are more shoaling fish. They may swim in a group, but move independently.

I've always kept large numbers of different species of Corys and of different sizes in the same large tanks with no problems. I'm not certain, but this may be the way they live in the wild.

B

Hello C...

I need to "split hairs" a little here, but in a nice way. Corydoras aren't schooling fish. They may swim in groups, but don't move in the same direction and speed like Tetras. Corys are more shoaling fish. They may swim in a group, but move independently.

I've always kept large numbers of different species of Corys and of different sizes in the same large tanks with no problems. I'm not certain, but this may be the way they live in the wild.

B

You are right on the Shoaling, most people don't know the word, so I use the common wording.

But are yours all 1 of this and 1 of that ?? Mixed Cory tanks are fine, but I'd still mix mine by groups of same species not 1 of this and 2 of that and 1 of that.

In the wild they live in HUGE groups of single species !!! Cory experts usually have 1 or 2 species per tank in as large a group as they have room for. I'd love a big tank with 2 or 3 SHOALS of my favorite compatible Cories. (all Cories get a long, but not all have same requirements).

Some Cories are found in the same areas. I went to a talk about Cories from an expert Cory Breeder, very cool subject. I also am lucky to have a Cory Breeder in my club and we hope to breed my habrosus this year. I also learn from the folks on Planet Catfish :)

This subject of do they need groups of their own exact kind has been debated several times on this site. MOST of us feel they do prefer a group of their own species. They may mix and mingle, but enjoy their own kind. Some won't swim with other species at all and remain shy till they get buddies that look just like themselves.

If you'd like to debate further I'd suggest PM so we can get back to our OPs questions ;)

Always nice to start a debate >=D. I appreciate all the feedback I've received, and I think i'm going to play it safe and not risk cory cats, because I don't want to get some more pets and cause them to suffer and stress more than the initial bagging and release into a new environment.

Besides, one of my platy fish is darting into a leaf of my ivy plant, presumably to scratch his side, but no obvious signs of illness. Perhaps I should treat for flukes, just in case...but that is a question for another time!

Corydoras

Good morning C...

No debate is needed. You obviously have a way of keeping your Corys that keeps them healthy and happy and that's most important. I have a single species in some tanks and have four species of different sizes in others, usually no more than 4 or 5 of one kind. All have done well. I've been keeping them with my "Livebearers" for about 5 years and some are my orginals. I keep mine in pure water conditions, changing half the tank water every week or so. I do stray from the norm and add a little standard aquarium salt to my tanks for the sake of the "Livebearers". The Corys have been fine with it.

Good talking with you and look forward to reading your posts.

B

Back
Top Bottom