Need some comfort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOXGM

Aquarium Advice Activist
So iv got my 36 gallon with plants in it now. Iv got two little Cory cats and a bristle nose and a clown plec. Anywho I have my 125 right next to it. I wanna move my little black ghost knife over there instead because all the other fish devour the food and its hard to feed him in there. So I'm wanting to move him over. I know how sensitive they are as juveniles. And yes I know he needs at least 125g as an adult but right now he's like 2 -3 inches. And he would love the hiding places and plants. Question is I'm afraid he will stress out and die. I tested both tanks today and they are both exactly the same. 0,0,20ppm , ph 7.8 stable, temp - 80 in both. What's y'all's thoughts?

I would let him grow out more before moving him just to be safe. Too many big mouths!

I would let him grow out more before moving him just to be safe. Too many big mouths!

That's what I'm thinking. I really don't want him to die by stress. I just know he would love my planted tank. I'll just have to resist transferring him.

Oh I thought it was the other way around - him being in the small tank and you wanting to move him to the big one. If he is ok in the big tank with the big fish I would leave him to avoid the stress of moving but if he is in the small tank I would leave him there to grow out longer so he is safe from the big fish. If he seems stressed in the big tank I would move him, though. Does this make sense? Lol.

Oh I thought it was the other way around - him being in the small tank and you wanting to move him to the big one. If he is ok in the big tank with the big fish I would leave him to avoid the stress of moving but if he is in the small tank I would leave him there to grow out longer so he is safe from the big fish. If he seems stressed in the big tank I would move him, though. Does this make sense? Lol.

Makes perfect sense. There's no where in the big tank for him to really hide. Due to the other fish size the knock over everything. He just stays behind the overflow or refugium intake. I just really think he'd love it in the 36 planted tank. Ima just leave him be I guess. He done fine for the past few months. My leaf fish is attacking everyone. And I can't move him because he will with out a doubt die from stress because leafs stress over anything.

If that is the case move him to the small tank for now. Just take care to acclimate him slowly. I think he will appreciate the calmer tank for a while.

If that is the case move him to the small tank for now. Just take care to acclimate him slowly. I think he will appreciate the calmer tank for a while.

I shouldn't have to acclimate him. Both tanks are same. Exact same. He loves the net. I think instead of using the net ill lure home into a cup of some sort. That way he won't have to be caught and taken out of the water. Just dip the cup into the tank and then put the cup of him and water into the 36. I think that would be close to stress free. There's been a few times where I have had to put him in a styrofoam cooler because I had to move the tank and drain it due to upgrading and he never showed any signs of stress. Hmm. I think I might do the cup thing.

I'd move him.
I'm sure that the short move over to a tank with the same exact parameters would be much less stressful than him growing up around all those big mouths. Even if he doesn't act stressed now, he probably is a bit, and putting him somewhere that offers him more hiding spots and smaller fish would definitely benifit him in the long-run IMO

Oh and you are correct about the acclimating, he doesnt need it since you mentioned all the parameters and temp are the same and stable

I'd move him.
I'm sure that the short move over to a tank with the same exact parameters would be much less stressful than him growing up around all those big mouths. Even if he doesn't act stressed now, he probably is a bit, and putting him somewhere that offers him more hiding spots and smaller fish would definitely benifit him in the long-run IMO

Oh and you are correct about the acclimating, he doesnt need it since you mentioned all the parameters and temp are the same and stable

:) ima do it cuz those big guys are rough. Stirring up the gravel darting through the tank and stuff. Then when he's bigger ill probably put him in the 180 gallon when ever I move to a bigger house and set it up.

Transfer done. He went right into the cup. Put him in and he's swimming around threw the plant and actually tried to steal an algae waffer from a pleco. He's pecking at the moss balls. Much calmer tank. I really think he's going to be much happier. There was a 1 1/2 - 2 degrees diff on the tanks because the 36 is closest to the AC vent that I turned on a few mins ago. Shouldn't make any difference to him tho.

In some way, I don't think he really thinks its a diff tank as fast as the switch was and the lights turned out. I know he's nocturnal and mostly blind because he uses electric current to find his way around.

yeah, 1-2 degrees really isn't anything to worry about, not a huge shock to them, kind of like us going from our main floor to the basement or something (my basement is always a bit cooler than the rest of the house)
I'm glad you transferred him. I bet you'll notice a big difference from him here in a couple days once he gets used to his new home.

You are so lucky! I've been wanting a BGK for years, but haven't got a tank big enough yet. Goodluck with him!

yeah, 1-2 degrees really isn't anything to worry about, not a huge shock to them, kind of like us going from our main floor to the basement or something (my basement is always a bit cooler than the rest of the house)
I'm glad you transferred him. I bet you'll notice a big difference from him here in a couple days once he gets used to his new home.

You are so lucky! I've been wanting a BGK for years, but haven't got a tank big enough yet. Goodluck with him!

Thank you very much for your advise!

Back
Top Bottom