Need Some Help/Ideas for Setting up a Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasek2k1

Aquarium Advice Regular
My aunt has asked me to build a FW tank for her since I have had some pretty good sucess with my SW. She wants something small so I gave her the idea of using the nanocube/eclipse systems.

I was wondering if there is anything specific I should do in modifing them - like taking out certain media or whatnot.

Also, I want to get her the nano cube. The only thing is, she will be putting the tank on a shelf. Is there anyway I can calculate the wieght to find out if the shelf will need any extra support? Or should I just stick with an Eclipse 5?

TIA

I would try to talk her out of putting a fish tank on a shelf. Weight issues aside, it's just an awkward place for a tank to be when it comes to maintenance. I would talk her into having a tank on a stand that is easily accessible. Then figure out what size based on space and cost. If she is new to the hobby you don't want to discourage her by setting up something that is awkward and smaller tanks are very hard to maintain without alot of maintenance.

Another good idea would be to visit the local fish store and have her point out what fish she would be interested in owning that way you will have a better idea on what kind of setup would be best. People often pick their setup then their fish. Then they complain about their limitations. Find out what she likes as far as stock first. Then figure out location and costs of setups. Make sure she understands small= harder while bigger =easier. And shelf = very hard to maintain while stand= much easier.

Well we figured out an easy stocking list. 3 schooling tetras, the algae eater with the stripes on its back ( I forgot the name) and maybe 1 really colorful fish. The latter one depends on the tank size.

For the room, I don't thing she will be able to get any bigger than a standard 10 gal. She is going to be moving her sound system (tall and skinny) for the tank. So I thought a nanocube would fit perfect in its place.

Well, 3 schooling tetras won't school and will be stressed with out more of its own kind.

May I suggest golden or cherry barbs... they are pretty and don't need to be in large groups.. yet tend to hang out together

You could keep 5 neon tetras instead of 3, a pair of rams (I would get bolivian rams because they are easier to keep than german blues), and a pitbull pleco (or a golden apple snail) .

Did you decide on the 10 gallon? The rams are great, I love mine. However some people have problems with them and they have a reputation for being delicate so they may not be good for someone new to the hobby. Also I feel they would need the whole tank for themselves. There are other dwarf cichlids that could be kept in a pair possibly.

When buying an algae eater make sure you don't buy the sucking loach. The pitbull pleco is a good suggestion, but I have never seen them around here. Also I wouldn't add the algae eater right away. For a 10 gallon I would stick with an oto or cories. I also love mystery snails.

For a real colorful fish, you could get a pair of sunset dwarf gourami's. If you do that then I would just add a bottem feeder and consider the tank full.

Or you could get a large school of neon tetras 6-8 and a bottem feeder.

There are alot of choices if you have chosen to go with the 10 gallon. The 5 gallon puts more limits on you.

I would get bolivian rams instead of German Blues. German Blues tend to not acclimate well and that is why most die.

3-4 male fantail guppies of different types (more colors that way) and 3-4 of the smallest cory species you can find.

An apple snail would be better for your size tank instead of cories. Cories like to be in groups of 3-4 and would take up space. An apple snail will do the same job as cories and would be more interesting IMO.

Thanks for all the replies- esp with the stocking ideas.

I think we are going to go with the cube. I starting thinking and I think we might not have to get algae eater. We are going to test our water and if its high in po4, we are just going to buy water from the store. 12 gallons itn't that expensive. Plus I'll just have the lights on a short cycle, maybe 8-9 hours a day. I like the idea of dwarf cichild/gouramis. I perfer semi-aggesive FW tanks. I'm not sure about her though.

Only thing I really need to do now is check out all the lfs around here to see who is realiable. There are literally more than I can count within about a 20 mi radius.

Back
Top Bottom