Need some ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Next week I should be getting my 55G aquarium, and would like some input on what I'm about to do. I have a large shipwreck, 2 halves. I also have a couple rock formations and some driftwood. I'm going to try to make it look like the ship is wrecked in a rocky area with a couple pieces of driftwood and java moss. And I'll probably have a black or navy blue background.

I'm planning on using aquarium-safe sealant to attach the shipwreck to the aquarium bottom, and also use sealant to attach some of the rock structure so the rocks aren't falling on the fish. My reason for the sealant in the shipwreck is I don't want gravel inside the shipwreck. Not sure if it matters, maybe I can get some input on that.

Also, I have pool filter sand I'm going to use. It's light tan with small black specks. I really like the color. Got a 50 lb bag for $9.50. I will have an undergravel jet system behind the shipwreck hidden, creating current through the shipwreck so there's no dead spots. Will use 2 small powerheads for that job, 2 jets per powerhead, 1 powerhead per half of shipwreck, so each half will have 2 jets. Will get ones with cheap pre-filters so I don't get enything like java moss caught in the powerheads. The powerheads will be hidden by the rock formations. I like the aquaclear powerheads with the quick filter attachment, makes it easy to change. I have one in my current tank, and I also put zeolite (ammonia remover media) in with the filter. Works great.

For the filters, I'm looking at a combination, either the Emperor 280 biowheel or 400 biowheel, and a Fluval 304 cannister. Or shold I go with the 404?

Just an idea of what I want to do. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to more options.

I will be using the tank mainly for my 2 fire eels. I may be giving my bala away shortly, as a friend really wants him. Just wants him to get a little bigger so his fish doesn't make lunch out of him. I'll also have some CAE's in there, and some striped loaches. But for center piece fish to go with them, what would look good and go with the shipwreck, rocky walls, caves, driftwood and java moss, eels, striped loaches, dojo's, and CAE's?

Thanks again for any input...

I was thinking of a school of either rainbow sharks or red tail sharks. Or is there a combination of smaller cichlids that would work, like rams? I'm open to ideas.

Just another helpful thing, the ph will be around 7.0-7.2 I'm hoping, as my current 2 tanks with driftwood have remained at about 7.2 without making any changes to PWC other than dechlorinator, and the temp around 76-78.

you can't have a school of red tail sharks because they are extremly aggressive towards each other (and other shark variations)
one per tank

I was reading up on the red tails, and the recommendations are only 1 per tank, or 8 or more. If you have a few, they will be aggressive towards the weakest shark, but in a large group, they tend to be less aggressive.

One more thing to add, this will be the temporary home for the eels, til I get my 125G, which will be their ultimate home.

I personally wouldn't risk it... if you have 8 that means that 7 of them will most likely pick on the weakest one because those are still few in numbers. 50- yah.. that would be better... but 8, even tho its a larger amount.. its still not THAT large. But that is your call

I wouldn't silicone anything directly to the bottom. Instead, silicone the shipwreck and rocks to a piece of glass from an old picture frame. You never know if you'll change your mind and decide to completely redecorate the tank later. It's happened to me several times :roll: - part of the fishkeeping madness, I suppose.

Your pH is perfect for most tropicals except rift lake cichlids.

Redtail sharks grow to be 6 inches and can get very aggressive as they mature. I'm not sure your tank is big enough for the eels, loaches, and a school of RTSs.

The 55G will only be the eels home for about 6 months, or maybe sooner, which is when I plan on getting the 125G. So their current size won't be much of a problem.

Also for the silicone, that's an idea. Also, what I was originally thinking was not putting the silicone under the shipwreck like glue, just set the shipwreck in, then silicone around the edges. I thought this would make removal easier if I decided to change it. But that idea sounds great. Might see if a friend has a couple small pieces of glass or plexi for that.

As for the rocks, I won't need the glass. They will be sitting on the gravel. Just want to silicone the rocks together to make them more stable.

Back
Top Bottom