Need some more fish in my 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have away my tiger barbs because they were apparently being eaten alive by the gourami when they slept.
Now I have 1 kissing gourami, 1 rainbow shark, 1 bn pleco

I have zero aggression issues between these 3 fish, the tiger barbs were the ones who got bullied believe it or not.

I am considering boesmani rainbows, but I see mixed reviews on their maximum size, and I'm curious as to whether I'll run into the same issue again with a much more expensive fish. I had originally thought about an angelfish, but was advised against it here.

Suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Boesemanis are great for a 55g but if you have a super aggressive gourami there's not going to be much you can do to fix it other than rehoming him.

He might not have been attacking them, but I caught him rasping on one of them that could barely move. I had to euthanize immediately. The shark actually nipped the barbs that wouldn't stay out of his territory. It's a little bit of a mystery, because I was losing barbs left and right toward the end.

Kissing Gouramis are highly aggressive. The other fish could fishy back but I would still advise getting a new tank or rehoming the gourami.

He might not have been attacking them, but I caught him rasping on one of them that could barely move. I had to euthanize immediately. The shark actually nipped the barbs that wouldn't stay out of his territory. It's a little bit of a mystery, because I was losing barbs left and right toward the end.

i have a similar mystery myself,, a couple of them really, all of the same situation
. i have a clown loach , 2 bronze corys , 2 common pleckos, as of now 6 neon tetras, 2 marble angels and 1 silver zebra stripe angel, a pair of german blue rams in my 55 , i had bought a new angel over the weekend, a bit smaller than the others and it didnt make it 24 hours,, was healthy acting ate very good, one of my female rams bether the one i have now was the same way doing great and then disapeared, the black angel i found under some slate, but my female ram i still have never found, its been nearly 2 weeks and no body floating or anything. i had 8 neons last week and now only 6 with the same thing,, no bodies anywere to be found . lol so were in the same boat of trying to figure out whats happening, i have a 30 gallon im still scaping and now have no idea what to put in it because of whats happening in my 55.

Rainbow shark shouldn't be a problem in such a big tank. Make sure he has a cave or something. I'd recommend dwarf cichlids or larger tetras/barbs

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rainbow shark shouldn't be a problem in such a big tank. Make sure he has a cave or something. I'd recommend dwarf cichlids or larger tetras/barbs

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He has multiple caves that he jams out in, but one in particular that is "his" place. He doesn't even notice the pleco.

I
i have a similar mystery myself,, a couple of them really, all of the same situation
. i have a clown loach , 2 bronze corys , 2 common pleckos, as of now 6 neon tetras, 2 marble angels and 1 silver zebra stripe angel, a pair of german blue rams in my 55 , i had bought a new angel over the weekend, a bit smaller than the others and it didnt make it 24 hours,, was healthy acting ate very good, one of my female rams bether the one i have now was the same way doing great and then disapeared, the black angel i found under some slate, but my female ram i still have never found, its been nearly 2 weeks and no body floating or anything. i had 8 neons last week and now only 6 with the same thing,, no bodies anywere to be found . lol so were in the same boat of trying to figure out whats happening, i have a 30 gallon im still scaping and now have no idea what to put in it because of whats happening in my 55.

I would check near the spots your Plecos are hanging out, they'll eat a dead fish.

I want physically losing the barbs, they were dying and I was scooping them out.

I have a ten gallon that I want to put a couple platys in, what if I tried the platys in the 55 to see how the tank reacts to fish with a peaceful temperament as opposed to the tiger barbs. Think it would be a good experiment?

I had 2 platys, 2 mollys , 4 blk skirt tetras , 3 Tiger barba , 22 neón tetras , and they Did Herat with the other fish.. just ate all the leafs off ny money warts .. I donated and got Store credit for them all but 6 neons.. had to make room for my german rams and angels but I didnt have any issues .. they are aggressive feeders though .. they eat like crazy

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great* sorry for the typoes .. I haré preddictive text

Besides standard compatibility charts and the normal suggestions there is a lot of grey areas.

A lot rides on the individual fish's personality. Example. I have a 3 spot aka blue gouramis that I resecued. He is soo sweet and just want to be with the other pearl gouramis I have. At first they were scared of him even if he just got in their area. Now they know he is a big teddy bear and they let him in their group. He eats and cruzes around the tank with them. Even sleeps in the same area of the tank.

Under normal conditions stuff like this would never really happen, but it doesn't mean it can't ever happen.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some fish do have amazing personalities and will defy what the charts say about them.
Do you have some pictures of your fish? They sound cool and I would like to see them ??

I can aend you a Link to my youtube channel.. I just Did a colplete aqua rescape last Night .. I have 3 angels , 2 german Blue rams (pair) 6 neón tetras , 2 bronze corys , 1 clown loach , and 2 common plecos in it now ... If you go on youtube my channel is rdk21805 .. Im not trying to promote my channel or anything if you see my lack of veiws youll see I have no idea how to do that lol but you can see before and after of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom