Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oh I wanted to also thank you for the pics of your male and female rainbow..I have had a hard time finding a good pic of a female. Based on your pics I believe that both mine are male. The one you thought looked female with the fuzzy lip is actually the one who colors up and courts our dwarf blue female gourami and ignores the other bosemani. Both have identical dorsal (the front part lays over the back part) and both have an orange rear half. Only one really colors up but I think he is the dominant male. Again, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Glad you also noticed the fuzzy lip..lol..my husband said it was nothing.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Both gouramis are male. Female dwarf gouramis are actually this really bland, silvery color. You won't find them often in stores because not many people would buy them.

If a dwarf gourami is colorful, it's a male.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

It'll be best to ask the local shop if they can exchange only make rainbow for a female then try and but another female. It's a good rule of thumb to have two females to every one male.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS99 View Post
Both gouramis are male. Female dwarf gouramis are actually this really bland, silvery color. You won't find them often in stores because not many people would buy them.

Not arguing just clarifying it for MY mind. The fish in the first pic looks distinctly one colour(blue/silver)as opposed to the one in pic 3 which has the gorgeous striping which is why I said it was female
Old 04-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS99 View Post

Most of the time this is true but not with this gourami. This is a color morph of a dwarf gourami so you can have females that are colorful also.

Powder blue dwarf gouramis female
https://www.azgardens.com/wp-content...urami-Fish.jpg
Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
Not arguing just clarifying it for MY mind. The fish in the first pic looks distinctly one colour(blue/silver)as opposed to the one in pic 3 which has the gorgeous striping which is why I said it was female
That gourami would be considered "powder blue" or "electric blue". The females are like, silver silver. There's no mistaking it. Lol
Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So it IS female? It's been 25+ years since I kept Houramis but I was reasonably sure I was correct
Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #18

My male bosemani thinks it is female.. he colors up and hugs right tight to it.. that was why I was questioning its gender. I thought it was male too. I guess my bosemani knows best or is sexually confused. Lol
Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

He identifies as a female
Old 04-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #20

Hahaha. Oh boy , I never thought I’d hear that about fish but I guess this is the world we live in. Lol

Tags
fish, gender

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com