Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need some opinions on the gender of my fish please

we were sold two bosemani rainbow and two dwarf gourami's...we were told they were male and female in each pair...after reading some posts here I am confused. Please if anyone can help tell me what gender these fish are I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. I don't know how to post pics but here are the urls I think:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture72051.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture72056.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture72055.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture72057.jpg

Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Top female
Bottom male

Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The neon dwarf or also known as the powder blue gourami looks to be femalish but its fins aren't as rounded as females normally are. The second neon just from its dorsal fin it looks to be male. Getting pictures of the anal fin will help. In gouramis the dorsal fins and anal fins will be rounded in females and pointy in males. Females are typically duller in color then males. Sorry but I can't help on the rainbows much. Males are usually larger and more colorful is all I can offer. This can be hard to judge at a younger age.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #4

thank you so much for your opinion, we thought for wks that they were both male but my rainbow fish hug up to the blue gourami and flash lots of color so we started thinking maybe it was a female. The orange looks male but won't have anything to do with the blue one which I find weird.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #5

thanks for your opinion, I am not quite sure which ones you are referring to..the gourami's or the rainbow fish? I am such a newbie and want them to be happy. I thought having male and female pairs they would be happier..do I need to buy a female rainbow?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was referring to the Gourami pics since I only saw 1 Rainbow pic. The blue one in the first pic is female by the rounded end on her dorsal fin the bottom striped one is male judging by the more pointed end on his dorsal. I haven't kept Rainbows in many years so can't even offer an educated guess
Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

can anyone tell if I have a female bosemani in these pics? I would really appreciate it..our male seems to be constantly harassing our dwarf female gourami, we were hoping that adding another bosemani (thought it was female but not sure) but the male has no interest in it so we are wondering if it too is a male. Thank you for any help you can provide.

sorry I am new to posting on sites and apologize if I have done this wrong or in the wrong place.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your rainbow looks like she has the start of mouth fungus. Rainbows are sensitive to water issues, do a 50% water change weekly and it should go away.

Just a quick look, your first rainbow looks female and the second looks male. Tho his color is pretty poor, did you just get him?

Males rainbows are always more colorful than the females. The rears are normally really orange and the fronts blue.
Here is a picture of a male and female
Old 04-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

I see that too on the mouth.. thought it was because of earing off the substrate. We have had that one for over a month and it is actually less fuzzy that it was thats why inwasnt sure what it was. Thanks for your opinion. Always learn something here
Old 04-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I only say something because mine got bad enough that i had to quarantine them. This was a well established tank with 30% weekly water changes and need doses.

I upped the water changes to 50% as suggested by others and they do very very well now. Bose rainbows are actually moderately hard to keep due to how sensitive they can be. But aren't they pretty! Share a picture when he finally colors up.

Tags
fish, gender

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com