Need some opinions on the gender of my fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martylise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we were sold two bosemani rainbow and two dwarf gourami's...we were told they were male and female in each pair...after reading some posts here I am confused. Please if anyone can help tell me what gender these fish are I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. I don't know how to post pics but here are the urls I think:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/116567-albums14773-picture72051.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/116567-albums14773-picture72056.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/116567-albums14773-picture72055.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/116567-albums14773-picture72057.jpg

The neon dwarf or also known as the powder blue gourami looks to be femalish but its fins aren't as rounded as females normally are. The second neon just from its dorsal fin it looks to be male. Getting pictures of the anal fin will help. In gouramis the dorsal fins and anal fins will be rounded in females and pointy in males. Females are typically duller in color then males. Sorry but I can't help on the rainbows much. Males are usually larger and more colorful is all I can offer. This can be hard to judge at a younger age.

thank you so much for your opinion, we thought for wks that they were both male but my rainbow fish hug up to the blue gourami and flash lots of color so we started thinking maybe it was a female. The orange looks male but won't have anything to do with the blue one which I find weird.

thanks for your opinion, I am not quite sure which ones you are referring to..the gourami's or the rainbow fish? I am such a newbie and want them to be happy. I thought having male and female pairs they would be happier..do I need to buy a female rainbow?

I was referring to the Gourami pics since I only saw 1 Rainbow pic. The blue one in the first pic is female by the rounded end on her dorsal fin the bottom striped one is male judging by the more pointed end on his dorsal. I haven't kept Rainbows in many years so can't even offer an educated guess

can anyone tell if I have a female bosemani in these pics? I would really appreciate it..our male seems to be constantly harassing our dwarf female gourami, we were hoping that adding another bosemani (thought it was female but not sure) but the male has no interest in it so we are wondering if it too is a male. Thank you for any help you can provide.

sorry I am new to posting on sites and apologize if I have done this wrong or in the wrong place.

Your rainbow looks like she has the start of mouth fungus. Rainbows are sensitive to water issues, do a 50% water change weekly and it should go away.

Just a quick look, your first rainbow looks female and the second looks male. Tho his color is pretty poor, did you just get him?

Males rainbows are always more colorful than the females. The rears are normally really orange and the fronts blue.
Here is a picture of a male and female
FXRb1UK.jpg

I see that too on the mouth.. thought it was because of earing off the substrate. We have had that one for over a month and it is actually less fuzzy that it was thats why inwasnt sure what it was. Thanks for your opinion. Always learn something here :)

I only say something because mine got bad enough that i had to quarantine them. This was a well established tank with 30% weekly water changes and need doses.

I upped the water changes to 50% as suggested by others and they do very very well now. Bose rainbows are actually moderately hard to keep due to how sensitive they can be. But aren't they pretty! Share a picture when he finally colors up.

Oh I wanted to also thank you for the pics of your male and female rainbow..I have had a hard time finding a good pic of a female. Based on your pics I believe that both mine are male. The one you thought looked female with the fuzzy lip is actually the one who colors up and courts our dwarf blue female gourami and ignores the other bosemani. Both have identical dorsal (the front part lays over the back part) and both have an orange rear half. Only one really colors up but I think he is the dominant male. Again, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Glad you also noticed the fuzzy lip..lol..my husband said it was nothing.

Both gouramis are male. Female dwarf gouramis are actually this really bland, silvery color. You won't find them often in stores because not many people would buy them.

If a dwarf gourami is colorful, it's a male.

It'll be best to ask the local shop if they can exchange only make rainbow for a female then try and but another female. It's a good rule of thumb to have two females to every one male.

Both gouramis are male. Female dwarf gouramis are actually this really bland, silvery color. You won't find them often in stores because not many people would buy them.

Not arguing just clarifying it for MY mind. The fish in the first pic looks distinctly one colour(blue/silver)as opposed to the one in pic 3 which has the gorgeous striping which is why I said it was female

Most of the time this is true but not with this gourami. This is a color morph of a dwarf gourami so you can have females that are colorful also.

Powder blue dwarf gouramis female
https://www.azgardens.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Powder-Blue-Dwarf-Gourami-Fish.jpg

Not arguing just clarifying it for MY mind. The fish in the first pic looks distinctly one colour(blue/silver)as opposed to the one in pic 3 which has the gorgeous striping which is why I said it was female

That gourami would be considered "powder blue" or "electric blue". The females are like, silver silver. There's no mistaking it. Lol

So it IS female? It's been 25+ years since I kept Houramis but I was reasonably sure I was correct [emoji854]

My male bosemani thinks it is female.. he colors up and hugs right tight to it.. that was why I was questioning its gender. I thought it was male too. I guess my bosemani knows best or is sexually confused. Lol

Hahaha. Oh boy , I never thought I’d hear that about fish but I guess this is the world we live in. Lol

Back
Top Bottom