Need stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxane1232

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a new 45 gallon tank for my birthday. Need suggestions I have black and white sand for substrate.

Attachments

• 20181011_203625.jpg
    20181011_203625.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 95
Black Skirt tetras

Did you decide on anything?

So I decided on starting with 4 black skirts to keep my established bacteria running . The other ideas are bolivian rams and dwarf neon rainbows, a pearl, gold, or blue spot gourami, corydoras and a bushy nose pleco.

Hello Rox...

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend a hardy fish species that doesn't mind less than perfect water conditions, which is what happens to those new to the water keeping hobby. Some of the live bearing fish like Guppies, Platys and Swordtails are good. If you prefer egglayers, then White Clouds, Rosy Reds and Red Eyed Tetras. You have a medium sized tank, so cool water Goldfish would work too. They don't require a tank heater. I generally keep one fish for the first 15 to 20 gallons of tank volume and then 5 gallons for every fish after this. So, you could keep around 6 in a 45 G tank. These fish will grow much larger, but this takes many months. So, you'll have time to consider a larger tank for these fish. Read up on the nitrogen cycle before you start and once the tank is cycled, you should remove and replace half the water every week to maintain suitable water conditions for the fish.

Have fun,

B

I think your stocking is compatible. You are going to Max out the tank so...IMO...you will be doing 40-50% weekly water changes and you will need to up the filtration to 12-15x tank turnover.

I'd say the stocking needs to be around.....2 Bolivian Rams, 6 black skirt tetra, 6 dwarf rainbows, 1 Gourami, 6 Cory Cats, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco.

You might think about passing on the Pleco.

Hello Rox...

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend a hardy fish species that doesn't mind less than perfect water conditions, which is what happens to those new to the water keeping hobby. Some of the live bearing fish like Guppies, Platys and Swordtails are good. If you prefer egglayers, then White Clouds, Rosy Reds and Red Eyed Tetras. You have a medium sized tank, so cool water Goldfish would work too. They don't require a tank heater. I generally keep one fish for the first 15 to 20 gallons of tank volume and then 5 gallons for every fish after this. So, you could keep around 6 in a 45 G tank. These fish will grow much larger, but this takes many months. So, you'll have time to consider a larger tank for these fish. Read up on the nitrogen cycle before you start and once the tank is cycled, you should remove and replace half the water every week to maintain suitable water conditions for the fish.

Have fun,

B
This is my 3rd tank, but my biggest tank I have set up. I also have a 10 gallon shrimp tank, and a 20 gallon community tank with a honey gourami, panda and albino cories, kuhli loaches, and neon and ember tetra, but I have a 40 and 10 gallon filter.

I am open to suggestions about the Bushynose, but I do have a 75 gallon filter.

I have a bristlenose. Honestly, unless you really love them all they do is hide and crap a metric ton of poop. Like so much poop, such a dent on the bioload that it's ridiculous

Do you know the gallons per hour (gph) your filter puts out? IMO, you are looking to get 750 gph minimum.

I have a bristlenose. Honestly, unless you really love them all they do is hide and crap a metric ton of poop. Like so much poop, such a dent on the bioload that it's ridiculous
I just wanted to have experience working with one, but maybe I'll look into other algae eaters. Open to suggestions.

Do you know the gallons per hour (gph) your filter puts out? IMO, you are looking to get 750 gph minimum.

Its an aqueon led 75 gallon filter. Here's a better pic of the aquarium now that its set up.

Attachments

• 20181024_150300.jpg
    20181024_150300.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom