Need Suggestion On New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad S

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi y'all. Need some suggestion on what kind of fish I can add to my tank. I've got a 60g w/3 Tin Foils. (4 to 6 inches) 1 Comet (6 inches) and 1 Plecostomus. (6 inches) They're all real friendly, except maybe the pleco. He keeps to himself. lol So what do you think would get along OK with these guys? Thanks :)

meybe a couple angel fish, guarmi, or rams? or if you want smaller fish some male guppies,mollies,or platies. Just some suggestions :)

I think the small fish will get eaten by the tinfoil barbs and/or the comet.Giant danios could work.big cichlids maybe but anything that won't fit in their mouths.Something along the lines of that...

Angel fish, Gourami, Rams, Giant Dianos, Cichlids... All good suggestions but will they get along with the big guys? I'm not too sure about Angels and Gourami. Aren't they kinda territorial? I really like them though. Rams, not sure there. G Dianos. Don't know them at all. Have to look into them. Cichlids... a zillion choices there. Must look into them too. Any more suggestions or comments?

if it was my tank, i wouldnt add anything. those tin foils will still get bigger, along with the comet and the pleco... youre going to need a bigger tank anyways, i would wait until you get a bigger tank to add anything.. .just my opinion though

First, thanks rubyfire, fishboy444 and mfdrookie516 for your replies. After some research and a lot of fish talk, I think I'm going to leave things be. The problem as I see it is that even though my fish are real sociable, they're just to darn big to live comfortably with any others. Now I could add another Foil or Goldie and be OK but in a few more years they'll outgrow the tank so... maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now.

Thanks! :)

I would not add anything and I'd recommend you rethink what's in there now. The comet is not a tropical fish and really won't thrive in the temps the other fish will. As far as the pleco goes (assuming it's a common from a chain)....

Attachments

• nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 70
I would not add anything and I'd recommend you rethink what's in there now. The comet is not a tropical fish and really won't thrive in the temps the other fish will. As far as the pleco goes (assuming it's a common from a chain)....

Yeah, I know. And I agree with you too but here's the story. All of these fish were given to me. The Comet by my daughteer and the Foils by my now ex. My daughter showed up one day from school many years ago with the Comet which she had rescued from a friend. He was a lot smaller then of course. And the Foils were a surprise present for me. They were much, much smaller then too. All were given with good intention and I didn't have the heart to tell them the consequences. ie: the fish outgrowing their tank and what that does to them. So far, I've been able to keep tank size ahead of them. Now I know my Comet would be happier in a pond with much more room and cooler water (which he used to be in a couple of years ago until things changed) and I hope to be able to have one for him again. Ummm, I try to keep the tank temp down a little (76) to help make it a little more comfortable for him. Kinda split the difference between the two. The Foils, I'm working on a new home for them too. There's a gal that's just put in a huge, 500 or so gallon pond/tank thing and might be looking for some fish. Perfect for the foils. The pleco... well, I needed and adopted him. Guess I'll have to see there. My next step will be a 100g tank. If I can find the room of course. We'll see. Still got a few years before I have to worry about that.

Brad- Sounds like you know what you the situation is very well and I totally understand how some weird combos can happen as gifts. lol I wasn't sure you knew as much about them as you do.

The pleco isn't mine, but just a picture that I saved to show the potential of every "common" pleco sold in the hobby. That one was caught in a Florida canal.

The pleco isn't mine, but just a picture that I saved to show the potential of every "common" pleco sold in the hobby. That one was caught in a Florida canal.[/QUOTE]

Still, He's a big boy!!!

Back
Top Bottom