Need Suggestions for Placing Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Theme is Mangrove Swamp in 36x15x16. Substrate is Play Sand. Driftwood is XL Malaysian Driftwood to simulate mangrove stump. Here's a pic of what I have so far:

Mangrove_Substrate.jpg

Any suggestions on what I should place in here next? Maybe some silk hairgrass? More driftwood? Possibly rock? there will only be about 10" of water so a lot of that stump will be out of the water. I'm not even sure if rock will fit in with this sort of setup. It just looks so boring.

I thought some of you might have some good ideas since I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Oh damn, didn't know about that place...excellent!

So far I'm thinking I'll need to buy a bunch of silk hairgrass and maybe some silk caulerpa prolifera for a little bit of color. Another large piece of driftwood, and maybe a few small pieces of rock.

Since this thread bumped back up to the top, here's where I'm at...
Driftwood.jpg

2 more small pieces of Malaysian Driftwood that I linked together. My synthetic SeaGarden Hairgrass shows up tomorrow...looks pretty realistic. I have 1-15" that will stick out above the water about 6", 2- 10" pieces, and 1-8" that I'll place around so the fish can hide, maybe put some baby crickets on for feeding time. Maybe I'll post some pics when I put the plants and water in tomorrow night.

What kind of fish are you planning on keeping? For example if keeping any cichlids you might want to add rocks.

Zagz said:
What kind of fish are you planning on keeping? For example if keeping any cichlids you might want to add rocks.

Stocking it this comming weekend with a shoal of 5 juvenille Archerfish (T. Jaculatrix). It's going to be brackish with a starting SG of 1.003-5 that will eventually break 1.010, that's why I'm not going to bother with plants right now until I can move into a larger tank where I plan to grow several mangrove trees.

The mangroves I'm familiar with (fl. keys) have lots of conch (and other) shells around, some crushed coral, small old coral heads, barnacles and high/low tide marks on everything.

id10t said:
The mangroves I'm familiar with (fl. keys) have lots of conch (and other) shells around, some crushed coral, small old coral heads, barnacles and high/low tide marks on everything.

I'm really into the idea of having barnacles but they would probably have trouble surviving. I could probably get some of those barnacle shells, that would be cool and I wouldn't have to care for them.

This is what my tank looks like so far:
Clear_Water.jpg

I have this little waterfall that 1/2 rolls down the driftwood stump and the rest splashes water all over the glass. I'll have to figure something out to fix that.

Looks good to me. See what happens when you google like mangrove pictures. That might give you some ideas. Man thats gonna look cool. 8O

Back
Top Bottom