Need to build a tank for 3 foot Monster Pacu.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deezdrama05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone this is my first post. I joined a forum to get advice from someone with much more knowledge of keeping fish than I have. Right now i have a pacu in a 20 gallon tank. He is only around 6 inches long but growing quickly. I just seen another pacu at a local aquarium store that was 2 feet long and bigger than my one year old daughter!!!!! He was in a 260 gallon tank and was told that he was outgrowing it!!!!!!! So heres my problem, instead of every 6 months having to buy a new bigger tank for my ever growing pacu I decided to build a 300 gallon plywood/epoxy/glass tank. I have found several tutorials on this tank and building it will not be a problem. Does anyone have any experiences with a tank like this or have any suggestions? What kind of filtration system should I need/use. And any other info would be appreciated as i never have kept a huge tank like this before. :?:

Try again...you are going to need to at least triple that tank size for an adult pacu......personally, I would go no less than 1500 gallons. If you wish, I can put in in contact with someone who has built one (3300 gallons, in their case) specifically for their adult pacu.

take a look at it this way, 300 gallons is ALOT of tank, but with his maximum size potential, its probably the equivalent to us living our whole life in a small room, if you love it enough and anything like me...you'll do whatever you need to keep the fish happy, i agree with toirtis...an insanely large aquarium is needed for this boisturous fish :eek:

mr86mister said:
take a look at it this way, 300 gallons is ALOT of tank, but with his maximum size potential, its probably the equivalent to us living our whole life in a small room,

More like in a smallish closet......we are talking about a fish that resembles a large manhole cover....and a fish that likes room to swim about.....and too small of a tank will have him bashing into the ends, damaging himself or the glass.

Here is what you want to aim for....a 3300 gallon tank built specifically for a pacu by an acquaintance of mine:

Attachments

• fishtank8.jpg
    fishtank8.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 244
OMG i never realized Pacus could grow to such a giant size. Those are nice fish but i dont think i could ever have a tank that big.

my question is, why do they sell pacu's at a fish store if they have to have a tank that big? I have seen pacu's for sale at walmart where they have 5 or 6 in a tank that can't be more than 10 gallons.

AshleyNicole said:
my question is, why do they sell pacu's at a fish store if they have to have a tank that big?

Because they can profit from doing so....sadly, most shops are 100% about profit, not ethics.

Back
Top Bottom