Need to Get Back on Track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LovingAngels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Due to various reasons I got away from my aquarium maintenance and my tanks show it.

What is the maximum percentage of water you can change at one time when there is livestock? How frequently can you change this percentage to bring the water quality back in line without shocking the fish? Is Prime better to use when doing this any any other water treatment or does it matter?

Thanks for your help!

Prime is fine. Just don't overdose by more than 3 x the recommended dosage. In a tank thats been unserviced for awhile, but too much at once is not good as ther will be pH issues. Over a few days peroid, change 1/4 to 1/3 of the water vacuuming it from the bottom. Don't be alarmed if you have to deal with cloudy water for awhile. Your vacuuming is going to stir up debris. Try to get as much of the tank vacuumed as possible without taking out more than 1/3 of the water. Prime might give you an amount to use like 1tsp per 5 gallons or something. But refill your tank with a 1 gallon jug or pitcher at the approximate same temperature as the tank. But put the amount of Prime in the jug that you think sould work for 1 gallon to the jug before running the tapwater in. It mixes better before adding to the tank. Do this entire procedure everyday for a week. You may have to rince filter pads in dechlorinated water quite often as it may clog from the small debris that is causing cloudiness. And, before you even start this, take a utility knife razor blade and scrape the slime coating off the inside of the glass 1 strip at a time from the top down being careful not to hit the silicone edges. Clean you ornaments as you go through the week. When you finish this week long process, you can just return to your normal weekly or however often you do your normal water changes.
Due to various reasons I got away from my aquarium maintenance and my tanks show it.

What is the maximum percentage of water you can change at one time when there is livestock? How frequently can you change this percentage to bring the water quality back in line without shocking the fish? Is Prime better to use when doing this any any other water treatment or does it matter?

Thanks for your help!

I assume because I have plants that I am going gingerly with the vacuuming? I have a few tough plants that will be actually thinned out but need to restock once the tank is back to normal. How did you know I had sheets of algae to remove :) Yes it is a mess but I will get back to "prime" maintenance after this is over. Thanks for your quick reply. Got my weekend work ahead of me!

I assume because I have plants that I am going gingerly with the vacuuming? I have a few tough plants that will be actually thinned out but need to restock once the tank is back to normal. How did you know I had sheets of algae to remove :) Yes it is a mess but I will get back to "prime" maintenance after this is over. Thanks for your quick reply. Got my weekend work ahead of me!
Been there...done that.

Back
Top Bottom