Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need to grow my babies fast

What is the best way to grow my baby guppies so I can add them to the big tank. I saved two of the babies after the last breeding. The rest got eaten LOL.
Now I want to put them in with the "big fish", but they are way to small right now. Any suggestions on the best food for babies for fastest growth?
-Mark

Old 04-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Typically, I just feed them finely ground flake tetramin.
Be warned, however, that on this diet, a baby guppy grows big enough to avoid being eaten in about two weeks or more.
My sole baby guppy right now is 3 weeks old, but when I release it into my main community tank, it cowers and hides, although it does not get eaten.

sorry I couldn't help any

Old 04-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's fine. At what size do you take the risk and add it to the aquarium. I've got a betta, two guppies, and (hold your breath), two medium blood parrots 8O . It's the parrots I'm worried about. Although many say they have problems eating, mine are like little hoovers sucking up anything that moves.
-Mark
Old 04-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You've got quite a variety of omnivorous fish.
Your fish are pretty large, and an unwary baby guppy could get eaten up quickly.

At what size do you take the risk and add it to the aquarium

Well, that's hard to say, because I haven't even released it into the aquarium yet! I keep my sole baby guppy in a jar attached to my aquarium so temperature remainds constant, and it eats flakes and browses on brown algae.

I'm not planning on releasing it into my aquarium until it's a month old... those serpae tetras are vicious!

In my opinion, I would just hold off as *long as I could.
However, if you become impatient, feel free to experiment
Those guppies breed like rabbits

at only like two weeks old, a baby guppy could outswim many predators
hopes this helps somewhat.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Feed a variety of flakes, hikari makes good ones with added vitamines. And/or frozen foods. And keep the water super clean. That should help boost growth.

ashley
Old 04-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've also noticed higher temps seem to speed up metabolism and make babies grow more, but maybe that's just my imagination. I feed my baby guppies fry bites
Old 04-08-2004, 03:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie
Quote:
at only like two weeks old, a baby guppy could outswim many predators
hopes this helps somewhat.
Yes, but this stresses out the guppy. Stress lowers the immunity, which can bring forth illnesses and even deaths.

You should feed your fry 3-4 times a day. Live BBS helps increase the growth, but it's best to feed a variety, like crushed spirulina flakes (enhances fish colors), frozen/freeze dried daphnia, regular fish flakes, and any other flake/pelleted food crushed.
75 Gallon (EMPTY)
20 Gallon (EMPTY)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I turned up the heat on MY AC tank to handle some Ich, and my holding females dropped out fry that grew like crazy while the heat was up. Guppies are pretty hard to kill, so upping the temp, while prolly not the best thing for them, shoud speed up their growth.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure the betta wouldn't hold back an attempt as well... but blood parrots... I think it will be hard to get any babies to survive. With only two babies you wouldn't be able to experiment and see if they'd survive or not so if you are really set on keeping them, I'd wait til they were quite a bit bigger before adding them.

Tags
babies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com