Need to grow my babies fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marknmelissa

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best way to grow my baby guppies so I can add them to the big tank. I saved two of the babies after the last breeding. The rest got eaten :eek2: LOL.
Now I want to put them in with the "big fish", but they are way to small right now. Any suggestions on the best food for babies for fastest growth?
-Mark :frog:

Typically, I just feed them finely ground flake tetramin.
Be warned, however, that on this diet, a baby guppy grows big enough to avoid being eaten in about two weeks or more.
My sole baby guppy right now is 3 weeks old, but when I release it into my main community tank, it cowers and hides, although it does not get eaten.

sorry I couldn't help any

That's fine. At what size do you take the risk and add it to the aquarium. I've got a betta, two guppies, and (hold your breath), two medium blood parrots 8O . It's the parrots I'm worried about. Although many say they have problems eating, mine are like little hoovers sucking up anything that moves.
-Mark :frog:

You've got quite a variety of omnivorous fish.
Your fish are pretty large, and an unwary baby guppy could get eaten up quickly.

At what size do you take the risk and add it to the aquarium

Well, that's hard to say, because I haven't even released it into the aquarium yet! I keep my sole baby guppy in a jar attached to my aquarium so temperature remainds constant, and it eats flakes and browses on brown algae.

I'm not planning on releasing it into my aquarium until it's a month old... those serpae tetras are vicious!

In my opinion, I would just hold off as *long as I could.
However, if you become impatient, feel free to experiment
Those guppies breed like rabbits

at only like two weeks old, a baby guppy could outswim many predators
hopes this helps somewhat.

Feed a variety of flakes, hikari makes good ones with added vitamines. And/or frozen foods. And keep the water super clean. That should help boost growth.

ashley

I've also noticed higher temps seem to speed up metabolism and make babies grow more, but maybe that's just my imagination. I feed my baby guppies fry bites

at only like two weeks old, a baby guppy could outswim many predators
hopes this helps somewhat.
Yes, but this stresses out the guppy. Stress lowers the immunity, which can bring forth illnesses and even deaths.

You should feed your fry 3-4 times a day. Live BBS helps increase the growth, but it's best to feed a variety, like crushed spirulina flakes (enhances fish colors), frozen/freeze dried daphnia, regular fish flakes, and any other flake/pelleted food crushed.

I turned up the heat on MY AC tank to handle some Ich, and my holding females dropped out fry that grew like crazy while the heat was up. Guppies are pretty hard to kill, so upping the temp, while prolly not the best thing for them, shoud speed up their growth.

I'm sure the betta wouldn't hold back an attempt as well... but blood parrots... I think it will be hard to get any babies to survive. With only two babies you wouldn't be able to experiment and see if they'd survive or not so if you are really set on keeping them, I'd wait til they were quite a bit bigger before adding them.

Back
Top Bottom