Need to move my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right I need to move my 92litre tank in my room ASAP to make room for a second tank but I only problem is I have no net to catch my fish what do I do?

Take an old clean t-shirt and tie up the arm and head holes, place it in the water and grab the edges with your hands and then use it like a fishing net. It would help if you drain as much water as you can so theres less room for the fish to escape. And if you have decent size catfish, ie a pleco, rap the t-shirt around your hand then slowly grab it frim above firmly, it gives you better grip and some catfish have sharp spines.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I was transferring from one tank to another I found the net problematic so used my hand to usher the fish into a submerged plastic bag. Worked a treat.

You have to lower the water way down anyway. Once you get the water to a depth of an inch or so, a hand and large cup often works. Get a net soon. They are really an indispensable part of fish-keeping (works for clearing out loose plant matter, too).

On the subject of moving fish out of a tank, I'm in the process of starting up a 350g tank, and its going to have sum pretty large fish( sum getting to 14inch+) how would I get them out if necessary?

It would be more like trying to manhandle them out the tank! Haha, another idea I had was use an old fishing net but cut it down so it fit in the tank,

You need to get yourself a net! haha. You could just empty 90% of the water and move the tank without taking the fish out. As for huge fish, a fishing net would work or maybe a fishing pole! haha i kid i kid

I just moved my tank. I lowered the water down to just a couple of inches and left the fish in. I then had my son help me carry it to were I wanted it. All the fish survived. They were a little stressed but recovered in a day. I also suggest the hand catch method. I gave up on nets because the fish freaked out every time I put it in the tank. They come to my hand as soon as I put it in the tank. They do not seem to be afraid of my hand even though I keep catching fish. With the net, after the first catch, they would freak out and run for cover. I have also put food into a plastic bottle with the top cut off. Hold it under the water near the surface of the tank. They swim in and I tilt the cup up and take them out that way.

Back
Top Bottom