need to replace cories....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
well as some have know i'm still in the midst of a fishless cycle.... but i have just noticed that my substrate is rocky, it definately isn't smooth and i don't want my cories to be hurt... will it be ok? or should i consider some kind of other fish? this is for a 10 gallon thanks!

fish selection

6-7 tetras or golden white clouds
3 ghost shrimp....
3 cories? <----- what can i get to replace these?

I have regular bumpy aquarium gravel (appears quite 'rocky') in my 10g, and the cories have no problems at all. Is this the type of gravel you mean? If so, I'd say they'll be fine. :)

I have 5 spotted corys in my 20g tank and I have regular small gravel that is very bumpy. The corys and other bottom dwellers simply glide over it with no problems at all. Plus I think it gives them a good surface to eat from. Do you know what kind of corys you are considering?

The "bumpiness" is not such a problem as long as the bits of gravel are relatively smooth. It is sharp, coarse gravel that damages their barbels. If you can roll the pieces between index and thumb and it does not feel sharp, then you are okay. If it does, then go ahead and change out the substrate now rather than later, which could prompt a mini-cycle to occur, plus it is a major pain! Sand is the best but you can get very smooth gravel just about anywhere.

I agree with tankgirl. If you got that cheap aquarium gravel, change it now before getting fish. I had to change the gravel one time a couple months after getting my tank and it was a pain.

yea i'll do that when i go home, i don't think it's that sharp, but just double check.. CMON cycle hurry up, stupid nitrites won't go down.... it's about 3 weeks, how much longer... i want fishies!!! hehe

The denitrification process is the longest and most frustrating. Maybe a week or two more, tops (I know you wanted to hear "any minute now!" but..... :? )

Back
Top Bottom