Need to stock my tank, are these good choices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
After having my 30 gal running fishless for a couple months, because I messed up the cycle, I think I am finally ready for fish! Yesterday my test results were .5 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and over 80 nitrates. I have been doing a fishless cycle adding 1/8 tsp or less of ammonia per day. I have a Millennium 2000 power filter, an undergravel filter, a heater, 2 hiding rocks, and several fake plants. So how does this sound for stocking, the only absolute for sure one is the betta, as I already have him and he really needs to go in a heated tank.

1 male betta
4-5 corys
1 ottocinclus
1 school of either neon tetras or white clouds, or maybe 2 small schools of each

Now my questions. Are all these fish good for a beginner, and are the numbers appropriate for my tank size? Also, how many of the schooling fish should I get, and which kind would be best? I am open to other suggestions too.

Before stocking my tank, I know I need to do a water change to get rid of the nitrates. How much should I change out, or should I just keep changing until nitrates are close to zero? Is there anything else I need for my tank?

your nitrate are very high, try bringing them down too atleast under 20 and your ammonia is too high in my opinion, aim for mabey 0.05 - 0 . what do you mean your adding 1/8 of ammonia too your tank?

Can I ask why your betta has to go into a heated tank? Do you live in an exceptionally cold environment or have him near a window or drafty area? Or perhaps there are medical reasons?

Betta fish are something I have had successfully for quite some years, and I have never had one required heated water. Just be sure to keep them away from AC/Heater vents, air drafts, and away from cold window panes. Find a place with some medium sunshine during the day, and that should be enough to keep any male betta content. :)

- In memory of Redd, the red male betta - 1993-1997. -
Redd: If you put your lips up to the bowl, I will either kiss you or fight you!
Me: Just like a man to be so black and white.

I will be changing at least 50% of the water before adding any fish, maybe more depending on what level nitrates are at after that change. I'm adding ammonia rather than having fish producing ammonia, so my tank will cycle without stressing any fish out, it is a fishless cycle but there has to be some ammonia to get the cycle going.

As for the betta, our house is poorly insulated and drafty, and the best place I have for his tank is on a bookshelf where it often gets bumped and he gets shaken up a bit. His main source of heat is the tank light, it gets up to the mid 70's during the day but drops down to the mid 60's at night. He seems to be doing fine, but I think he would do better in a more evenly heated tank that doesn't get bumped. And sunshine? From now until spring we will be lucky to get 7 sunny days! :roll:

ryorgason said:
Are all these fish good for a beginner, …..
I never had otos; the neons can be fragile. What type of corys but generally OKe as are the betta.

ryorgason said:
are the numbers appropriate for my tank size?
very suitable, I have a 29 gal with over twice the amount of fishes and with only a UGF

ryorgason said:
Also, how many of the schooling fish should I get,
I think 6 plus

ryorgason said:
and which kind would be best? I am open to other suggestions too.
the neons are good but if you can get the cardinals, I would because they grow larger and are slightly more colourful.

ryorgason said:
I know I need to do a water change to get rid of the nitrates. How much should I change out, or should I just keep changing until nitrates are close to zero?
read http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html to fully understand the Nitrogen cycle. I change 20% weekly.

ryorgason said:
Is there anything else I need for my tank?
YES patience and lots of it. Do not add more than a couple of fishes a week. Introduce the new fishes to your water veeeerry slooowly, add cups of water to the bag with fishes.

ryorgason said:
As for the betta, our house is poorly insulated and drafty, and the best place I have for his tank is on a bookshelf where it often gets bumped and he gets shaken up a bit. His main source of heat is the tank light, it gets up to the mid 70's during the day but drops down to the mid 60's at night. He seems to be doing fine, but I think he would do better in a more evenly heated tank that doesn't get bumped. And sunshine? From now until spring we will be lucky to get 7 sunny days! :roll:

Aha! I didn't even look to see where you were located. The great NW does get less sunny days than we do down here in the old SE. And you are right, if the temps in your house are fluctuating that much between day and night, the betta would need a more stable setting.

My house is set to be at a constant temperature (nearly year round) both day and night. The only time it alters is in the spring or the fall when I sneak open the windows...though due to allergy probs in my house, we can't often have that treat (well..it's a treat until the sinuses retalliate).

And oh no! No bumping! Do get that sweet betta somewhere nice and sturdy and still. :)

Bettas actually do better in higher temps. Don't forget, they come from shallow but massive swampy bodies of water, in a place where its gets HOT. While they certainly can survive in lower temps, I keep my guy at 79-80F and he is a happy camper :)

I'd suggest the white clouds; they're hardier then the neons/cardinals, and while not as colorful, fun to watch zipping around the tank.

Otos are schooling fish; I suggest at LEAST 2, although more is better. Wait until your tank is completely established before you add them tho; they'll need the algae that will build up. They don't seem to survive well in new tanks.

The corys are a great choice :) Once my rams are settled in, I'll be picking some up for my tank!

Thanks so much for the advice! I didn't realize that otos were schooling fish, maybe I will get 3 of them. I was planning on waiting until I had noticeable algae growth to get them.

I haven't looked at cardinals, I'll have to look into them. Maybe I will start out with the white clouds and corys, and then later, when I have a bit more experience and everything seems to be going well, I will add a school of tetras.

Also keep in mind that a betta will appreciate tank mates that (a) don't nip on his fins, and (b) don't inspire him to do a lil nipping himself.

Enjoy!

Yes i agree with sweetsuvvyb do NOT make the mistake i made and add a gourami to the tank you WILL regret it trust me :D

can i just sugest not to puit you betta in such a big tank because i noticed when i did i wanted to add new fish and couldnt because of compatibilty issues

just IMO

I changed out 20 gallons yesterday, and tested the water today. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are down to 10! I will be getting a few white clouds and bronze corys on Saturday, and will probably do another smaller water change on Friday, so I can get the nitrates a bit lower. Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom