Need Urgent Help!! Tank with turtles issue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Synthogy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys.

Here is my problem: I have a red eared slider turtle in a 55 gallon tank that's 90% full of water. After a 100% water change the water starts turn really foggy and not exactly green but more like a yellowish green. The water smells really bad like rotten eggs. When we first got the tank and set everything up the tank lasted a whole month without developing any sort of overpowering scent and stayed pretty clear most of the time until one day the water just smelled absolutely horrid and I decided to take the filter apart and clean it thoroughly. The process took like 3 hours. The filter was just completely FULL of some green slimy GUNK like LOADS of it.. I'd say 3 pounds of the stuff... It was all over inside the filter tubes as well, basically it was every where inside the filter. I use a filter for a 75G tank on my 55g. Now after I cleaned it thoroughly and added new filter media it started smelling bad and the gunk started to build up in only 2 weeks or so..

Another problem: We are on a budget and can't afford much. We couldn't really even to maintain turtles to optimum, but problem is they were getting sick in the conditions we had them in before and had to make the sacrifice. So please be light on the possible expenses..

Details on my tank:

1. 55 Gallon, 90% full.
2. I use mechanical and bio filter
3. Basking Lamp, no UV or UVB just a normal lamp to warm up their basking.
4. In tank water heater set to 65F so water remains around 70F-75
5. Turtles are fed in the tank only once. One day yes one day no.
6. There are no rocks or sand in the tank. There is absolutely nothing in the tank besides the water heater and basking spot, and the pump.
7. I tried doing 40% water changes every 2 days after the smell started to develop, but it comes right back within 2-3 days.

We really need to solve this issue soon because we are having guests stay over.. Someone please help.

I think there is an amphibians section around here somewhere.

Sadly I can't help but my post will keep you near the top of the list :)
Sorry, I didn't realize. I was so caught up with asking somewhere for help.

This situation has me really stressed because I was the one that suggested to my aunt to put the turtle in a proper environment because the turtle use to live in a 10 gallon tank and the turtle is like 12 years old and 6 inches long. It barely had room to move and it lived like this for 4 years. I had my aunt make the expenses of buying all this stuff, but I didn't know this would turn out so hard to maintain. She's going to kill me if I don't get this solved.. She's already going to kill me for having to have her spend more money. :(

If you are on the main site use the "jump to" scroll bar to find the amphibians part.

If on the app go back to the main menu and it's there :)

Hope you get the help you need pal!

I have a yellow belly cooter and he can get pretty stinky. I use a canister filter and it's amazing! But if your stuck with the hang on then I'd try to add another, the general rule is cut filter rates in half. And being as it's a turtle tank, they are extremely dirty critters.

As far as health goes, the investment for the UVA & UVB are essential, it's what keeps they're shells hard. And diet is extremely important. I only fast 2 days a week, and I feed reptimin sticks, a variety of plants, and bloodworms.

Try redearslider.com in the upper left corner, they've got a forum as well. Extremely helpful, and considerate of situations. Honestly, at 6 inches and 4 years old I'd say you have a male and the 55 you have him in is great! So that's good news:)

Good luck!

I have a yellow belly cooter and he can get pretty stinky. I use a canister filter and it's amazing! But if your stuck with the hang on then I'd try to add another, the general rule is cut filter rates in half. And being as it's a turtle tank, they are extremely dirty critters.

As far as health goes, the investment for the UVA & UVB are essential, it's what keeps they're shells hard. And diet is extremely important. I only fast 2 days a week, and I feed reptimin sticks, a variety of plants, and bloodworms.

Try redearslider.com in the upper left corner, they've got a forum as well. Extremely helpful, and considerate of situations. Honestly, at 6 inches and 4 years old I'd say you have a male and the 55 you have him in is great! So that's good news:)

Good luck!
We couldn't afford the UVA/B lights :( And I also use the same food.

I'll put a post on that website as well then. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom