Needing a good defense... Help me with this arguement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd keep a bottle of the antibacterial hand cleaner that doesn't require water by the tank and get in the habit of using it every time you handle the turtle or the tank...before you touch anything else. Turtles are fine as long as proper precautions are taken. We had one for about 5 years with three small children and had no problems. He was a pretty good pet.

HOLLIEO said:
*** Oh and by the way... Just wondering, but why or how does a turtle get salmonella? Does any one know? I know it is an 'Aquarium' Chat, but I can not find anyone as helpful and informative as everyone at this site.
Thanks for all the help!!

Give >>this<< a read, it should give you some answers.

Cheers
Steve

I dont know anything about turtles...ive only done saltwater and freshwater fish. BUT if what they say is true i would err on the side of caution and stay away from turtles. Imagine what it would be like if one of your children got seriously ill =(

There are MANY safe wonderful pals you can put in that type of setup =)

Dont be irresponsible like many people i see and risk your childrens health just to have something unique to show off to your friends.

have you considered Discus? or Oscars? both of those are beautiful animals that your entire family will enjoy!

sorry if i came across harsh bit ive heard of too many horror stories caused from poor pet choices.

steve-s.. Thanks for the link! Very interesting, but it doesn't say anything about adult turtles???? So, does this mean that this is something they can develop at anytime or something that happens when they are born? I just don't understand how an aquatic 'adult' turtle , with no history of illness (in 5 years of his life) and eating no raw meats can develop salmonella??? Since my fish are treated the same way the turtle is, why can't they get salmonella??? very confussed??? :?

The salmonella can be transfered from turtle to turtle at birth and any time as an adult. The salmonella is harboured in the shell itself. Because of the wet "environment" and somewhat temperate housing, it's a perfect breeding ground.

It does not go away and there is no real treatment. You will not know if it's there without being properly tested. So always take precautions.

Cheers
Steve

Okay, here is a pic of the tank where I put it. I love it!!! I will be careful and I always wash my hands when serviceing or touching any of my tanks, so I would do the same with this one. Thank you all!!! It is really cool (some of you... many of you... would disagree and say YUCK!! ha, ha) anyway.... It is really cool hearing the water sound (kind of like a fountain) from the internal filter (submersable) and watching everyone swim around when sitting at the dining room table. really, it is cool!!

Acqurium in the kitchen

Next time don't ask - just do it - better to beg for forgiveness then be rejected with requests for permission. Meanwhile considering moving it the bathroom - it is actually a decent place for an acquarium - assuming that it fits. I put mine (the one I described a few messages ago titled "pothos in the acquarium) on top of the bathroom counterspace on a little handmade foot stool which I acquired at a flea market. In keeping with the "just do it" vein - if it does not fit in the bathroom then move it to the den or the balcony or some such other spot which you have not already discussed e.g. the living room etc (the kitchen might seem like a good deal after that one!). If I asked my husband everytime I did something like this, I would never get anything done. Some people say no to everything - just don't ask next time - do it. You can always "get around to" moving it after the fact when the objections surface

My acquarium has a turtle as well and he(she) is doing fine. My turtle does not eat fish because he prefers reptomin but until you are sure of what your turtle will or will not eat do not put expensive fish in with him(her). Most actually like fish although many prefer reptomin and will not eat fish because it is too much trouble by comparison and they get out of the habit of doing so. Goldfish are not ideal because they excrete too much waste and get the water more cloudy then the plants can purify (see my pothos comments) - rather try some guppies or even some platties. Be sure you add the pothos to the tank because it purifies the water and frankly turtles are very messy and need this measure

One last thing - if you are a home owner use this as an excuse to install an outdoor pond - small self contained or a patio/balcony "pond" (large plastic stuctures) if you are not - you will love it - again don't ask - if you earn your own money just buy it and set it up then "surprise" him with the "lovely addition" to your balcony or back yard. A little wine when introducing these new concepts and additions to the house does not hurt either - keep a bottle or two on hand when introducing it to "celebrate" the event

Lois

Tutles and salmonella

The risk of catching salmonella from turtles is way over-rated. You have just as much chance of catching salmonella from eating runny egg yolks and we all know how ridiculous was the attempts to legislate cooking egg yolks in restaurants was (NJ attempted unsuccessfully to enact this legislation).

Of the various things you need to worry about in raising children - catching salmonella from a turtle is not one of them. In the presence of a healthy immune system, this risk is minimal however for anyone who is raising a child (or anyone for that matter) with an immune status defect (e.g. AIDS, chemotherapy, etc.) then turtles or frankly fish tanks in general are not a good idea unless you can be absolutely certain that the child will not handle the animals or the water (salmonella is NOT airborne).

While we are on the subject of precautions with pets, persons with immune deficiency status should not change the kitty litter either due to risks of toxoplasmosis. For everyone else (immune competant people) kitty litter poses no threat what so ever because toxo is an opportunistic pathogen - meaning it only attacks an immune-deficient host and poses no threat at all to a normal host

Thanks for chiming in on the topic LEB!! So, you own a turtle? What kind? I am still trying to figure out exactly what kind I have. I think it is a Red Ear Slider???
Do you know much about them? If I post or send you a pic, would you be able to tell me what i have?
Also, he (or she???) doesn't eat fish. Is this bad? He just likes to eat turtle pellets. I read that to feed them solely on one kind of food is bad for them. What else should I feed him? and what about the UVB light issue? I have been told so many things. Like, I need one or the sun light through the window is good enough, or that it is more for lizards?!?!?! AAAAHHHHHH!! So, what is the correct resonse?
Oh, and No immune problems in my house, so thanks for the positive attitude towards the salmonella being totally over rated. :)
And yes. I have tried the 'Just attitude' many times... but some have backfired. I actually did just end up doing it (moving the tank). Yes. I am a home owner, but not really wanting a pond right now. I am obsessed witht he aquarium things (at least at the moment). I do really apreciate all this advice and comments!!! thanks to all!! I love this site!!!!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom