Needing active fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stumbleine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Hello

I need some advice on stocking my tank. I currently have a 130L tank with the following:

2 x Large Rocks
1 x Large Plant cable tied to a log (has now rooted into gravel)
1 x Small Plant cable tied to a log (hasn't rooted into gravel)
1 x Large ornamental tree root ( has large area underneath for hiding)

2 x Clown Loaches
1 x Bristlenose Catfish
1 x Suckerfish
1 x Kissing Gourami

All fish have been in the tank for at least 2 years. The Kissing Gourami did have a mate, unfortunately when first introduced to the tank, the Suckerfish declared war and continuously attacked it.

Currently every fish except for the Kissing Gourami hide underneath the ornamental tree root. I would like to brighten up the tank and have fish that enjoy taking the occasional leisurely swim.

The reason I'm asking for advice is that I do not want to put any fish in that my current fish will attack.

I welcome any suggestions!!

You probably know this, but the Clown loaches will outgrow the tank :)

Is the suckerfish a "Sucking Loach"? If it is, it is a chinese algae eater, which will become large and aggressive.

Danios make an attractive, active addition to an aquarium. They stay at the top part of the tank and never seem to stop moving!!!

Danios come in several variaties - Leopard, pearl and zebra included!

Elephant Nose Fish

Black Ghost Knife Fish

Research them and see if you like them :)

They are very fascinating and unique!

CherryBarb123 said:
You probably know this, but the Clown loaches will outgrow the tank :)

Is the suckerfish a "Sucking Loach"? If it is, it is a chinese algae eater, which will become large and aggressive.

Danios make an attractive, active addition to an aquarium. They stay at the top part of the tank and never seem to stop moving!!!

Danios come in several variaties - Leopard, pearl and zebra included!

I am aware of the Loaches, I plan to upgrade my current tank, once my house renovations are done and we have an inbuilt tank. Thankfully at the moment they are only about 10cm long!

Yes, the sucker is a Chinese algae eater - sorry had to double check via google.

I may check out the Danios, I want some movement! Any ideas on how many? Do they need to paired so they're not lonely?

Hahaaa I just googled Danios, they're little! I don't think I have to worry about the buddy system!

Fishy Aston said:
Elephant Nose Fish

Black Ghost Knife Fish

Research them and see if you like them :)

They are very fascinating and unique!

I love the look of the Elephant Nose Fish, but it looks like its another bottom dweller??

Also does anyone know if I would be able to put another Kissing Gourami in the tank - or would my current one be to old now, and would be declaring war every other day?

I cannot comment on the Gouramis, but the elephant nose could be hard to keep. They can be quite hard to feed - I personally would stay clear of them.

Danios need to be in groups. They can be a bit hyper, and need a group of at least 6.

CherryBarb123 said:
I cannot comment on the Gouramis, but the elephant nose could be hard to keep. They can be quite hard to feed - I personally would stay clear of them.

Danios need to be in groups. They can be a bit hyper, and need a group of at least 6.

I'm happy with six, could I go more?

I wouldn't get a elephant nose. They aren't very active. They are usually only active at night. Picky diet, and sensitive to water parameters. They also do better in schools of at least 6. When I bought one it was $15 and I fell for the trap lol I'd love to try it again in the future

Mr.Pleco said:
I wouldn't get a elephant nose. They aren't very active. They are usually only active at night. Picky diet, and sensitive to water parameters. They also do better in schools of at least 6. When I bought one it was $15 and I fell for the trap lol I'd love to try it again in the future

I agree, just did some quick reading and I don't think it'll suit.

Finding fish compatibility is harder than dating!! :)

lol I know. It can be tricky but the more research the better. I used to use this site when I started back into keeping fish. Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility
It's pretty good as far as what's on the list. There is a lot of stuff not on there but the fish you are talking about are there.

I'm assuming you are going a community tank?

Mr.Pleco said:
lol I know. It can be tricky but the more research the better. I used to use this site when I started back into keeping fish. Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility
It's pretty good as far as what's on the list. There is a lot of stuff not on there but the fish you are talking about are there.

I'm assuming you are going a community tank?

Yep definitely want a community tank. I've left it so long as my current fish seemed happy to be cruising along on their own.

Will check out the site! :)

You could get some rainbows of some sort. I have eastern Australian rainbows that look really nice. You can get them at petsmart. There are like $3. They are active. I have pristella tetras and they are very active as well.

You could get some rainbows of some sort. I have eastern Australian rainbows that look really nice. You can get them at petsmart. There are like $3. They are active. I have pristella tetras and they are very active as well.

I would say that Rainbows are generally to big and active for a tank that size and with everything else in there, it wouldn't work :)

Eastern Australian rainbows dont get as big as bosemani. They got 4in max abouy. Don't think there'd be any aggression problems

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I will go fish hunting this weekend!! :)

Back
Top Bottom