Needing help with general info on gouramis and new to tropical aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rami84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help please, I have recently started an aquarium with tropical, 2 pearl lace gourami's and one blue female dwarf gourami did have a flame male but it died four days in hopefully not due to my management of the aquarium, am looking to breed them so would love to know some tips regarding tank set up the compatibilty of the gourami species I have and tank set up, plants conditions etc for happy breeding gourami's am investing in another bigger tank so that I can have my current 48ltr tank as the breeding/fry tank please forward this message to anybody whom can help or has some general advice as I am a beginner.
Thanks heaps Lisa :n00b:

The only things I would suggest that I haven't seen on care sheets are

a) Outnumber the males with females. I have had females die of stress, even with a 1:1 ratio

b) Get floaters for bubblenesting. I strongly, strongly reccomend salvinia. The gouramis LOVE it because it holds the bubbles together well on its feathery roots. I wake up every other morning to find all my salvinia in a heap of bubbles, fiercely guarded my a very proud Dwarf Gourami :D

Am I reading correctly that you are currently using a 48 liter (about 12 gallon) tank to house all of those gouramis but are hoping to expand so you can use the small tank for fry? If this is the case, then I would definitely check your water to make sure you're aren't having an ammonia or nitrite spike. It sounds like a lot of fish for the space. Gouramis can be very territorial, so you would also need a much bigger tank. If you are trying to breed them, it might also be easiest to just keep to one species (at least at first!)

Good luck! :D

I get the bigger tank tomorrow this is research before I breed the gourami's then the tank the gouramis are currently in will be for the fry. But any advice is appreciated thanks.
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom