Needing something colorful..suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently had to rehome one of my large Angels, due to maturing aggression issue, and about 4 months ago I lost one of my German blue Rams. SO, now I am looking to add another fish, but I really want something colorful.

I have a 55 gallon:
Planted
Water peramaters are stable
Temp is 79f
Ph 7
Slightly acidic and slightly hard

Current stock includes:
1 large angel (blk & wht)
1 GBR (can be rehomed)
2 Siamese algae eaters (blk & slv)
1 african butterfly fish (camo)
5 Ropefish (olive green)

Rainbow fish might work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know that I want schooling fish, since I only want to add 1 or 2 fish, not a group.

What about Acei? Do you think they would do well in this mix?

Acei will destroy your angels any rift lake cichlids will. They also wont wrork with your GBR's. I dont know about rope fish since I don't keep them.

Your angels make that difficult as those flowing fins are quite appetizing for larger more colorful fish. Unless you want to rehome something there isn't much more you can add that has color.

On the other side your other stock makes it difficult to add smaller fish without the risk of them becoming a snack.

- koi angel they have some orange on them.
- Gouramies A nice orange one will add color or a pearl.
- Rosy Barbs but they might pick on your angels I don't know I know they aren't the nippers tigers are.

They are harder to find but what about Aphysemion Australe or Gardneri? They are a larger longer lived killifish. A single male and a pair of females would be nice.

So after a trip to the lfs (no purchase yet) and some further research.. I am strongly considering a couple peacock gudgeon or a school of boesemani rainbow fish.

Also on the possible list is a few golden barbs.

I know other people will disagree, but many will agree, rainbows are probably too active for a 55. I have a school of them in my 150 and they use every inch of space zipping around everywhere. I couldn't imagine they'd do well in anything less than a six foot tank. They can be a little nippy towards each other and would probably freak out your fish with how active and fast they were.

I just rehomed nine rosy barbs due to the fact that they were even more active and nipped other fish more than the rainbows. I don't know if gold barbs are the same way, but I'd bet they would be too small to keep with rope fish. What about some tetras like Congo tetras or something?
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So after a trip to the lfs (no purchase yet) and some further research.. I am strongly considering a couple peacock gudgeon or a school of boesemani rainbow fish.

Also on the possible list is a few golden barbs.
Either would be great for a 55g. How big of a school were you thinking?

Back
Top Bottom