needing to lower ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just happier that it's not in the 8+ range. My main concern about all of this is that I may be taking in my friends fish since she will be moving and I didn't wanna kill them. I could just leave them in their original tank but I'm seriously running out of room because I have so many tanks!!! Lol

Dies she live on the same water source? If so she should have similar ph water to you. Test it and see.

Yes she does but according to her family they have filtered purified water and I wouldn't be getting her for at least a few more months

Lhutchison said:
Yes she does but according to her family they have filtered purified water and I wouldn't be getting her for at least a few more months

Which likely is just carbon filtration and does nothing to ph. I'd just acclimate them carefully and you should be fine. I really think the platy you got was a fluke fish.

Out of curiosity what fish does your friend have?

So, in regards to my testing kit, do I only need to use the high ph range test if the normal ph range says 7.6? How will I know which is the right ph?

Lhutchison said:
So, in regards to my testing kit, do I only need to use the high ph range test if the normal ph range says 7.6? How will I know which is the right ph?

If its high it will register the highest color. No need to use the low one unless it bottoms out for some odd reason

smomus said:
If its high it will register the highest color. No need to use the low one unless it bottoms out for some odd reason

I don't really understand what you mean

Lhutchison said:
I don't really understand what you mean

Ok sorry..
what I mean by bottom out..
Sometimes if there is an issue with the tank the ph will drop, drastically! In that case its important to be able to measure where its at. Otherwise the high ph test is all you need

hpiguy said:
Places like Foster Smith carry real driftwood as well. And the prices aren't bad at all. I get mine there. Good variety.

There is a forum sponsor that sells really really nice pieces of driftwood too. Manzanita I think they are called. Attractive pieces indeed.

I looked at the drift wood from foster and smith and I like the pieces and the prices. What piece of driftwood would you recommend?

lowering ph

i to have high ph water (from the rockies0 and have both low and high test kits. i have co2 dissolving can lower my ph from 8 to about 7.2 in a 50 gal thank...i rigged a diy co2 gen. from my 6 gal wine bottle with 4 gal h2o and 2 cups sugar/gal fed into a soda bottle from the cap layed on it side and cut about half of the side some 2 inches from the ends..i also ran the canister filter discharge through a3/4 cpvc pipe with 1/4 inch holes along its length .the holes are aimed at a 45 degree down..this creates a still water area for the co2 to dissolve into the water and just enough circulation under the still part to quickly get that co2 to the rest of the tank and bring in fresh water...works great .one note the area of the open bottle directly affects how fast the co2 is dissolved. my first try was too big, so i made a smaller one.i also have a air stone on the other side and a well (jungle) dirt tank.

lowering ph

not really ...half an hour once you get the hang of it....if you wan't more info let me know..

co2 dissolver

..the 3/4 cpvc is inserted in the bottom ,the co2 line can be from either ,your choice the blue floats are kids pool noodles....make sure to drill the holes slightly smaller for a tight fit...i cut the bottle with a band saw.but a knife will do..

Attachments

• Picture 120.jpg
    Picture 120.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 123.jpg
    Picture 123.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 43
Thanks but I defiantly don't have room for one of those...what exactly does it do again?

Jacobsal91 said:
Driftwood decor also safely lowers PH naturally and slowly. I dont reccomend doing it but theres also a powder by api called 'proper ph'. Which is a chemical way to stablize ph to the exact level you want it. If thats somethin that doenst bother you then that option is always available as well

Don't use the proper ph in hard water it will not just cloud the tank it will completely white it out! It is designed to raise ph not drop it.

the 6 gal jug uses sugar water and yeast to make co2. the tank part dissolves co2 into calm water (not agitated water as for oxygen). this produces a weak carbonic acid and lowers ph... the filter output at a 45 degree angle creates a small current to gently bring in more water to dissolve the co2 faster...the bottle can be as small or large as needed..if you are using a over the top filter the piping can be eliminated,but you will need a wider plastic bottle to get the same result.

Back
Top Bottom