Needs help badly.l.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo3681

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ow can I move my fish to my new tank? I'm upgrading from a 10 gallon to a 29 gallon. Move the water over? Then the fish?

You could, but you'd have to use a lot of new water anyway b/c there isn't enough water in the 10 gal to fill the larger tank. You could also fill the new tank with clean dechlorinated water, let it come up to temperature and then slowly acclimate the fish to the new tank using a method such as drip acclimation (you can find some videos on YouTube if you aren't sure) or you can put the fish into a small bucket with some of their current water and then slowly add some water from the new tank every 20 minutes or so until the water volume at least doubles, then you can net them into the new tank.

Are you using the same filter or a new one? If it's the same filter it may not be large enough to filter a 29 gal sufficiently so you may need to run a larger filter with the old one on the new tank (or get a larger filter and move all of the filter media over from the current filter to the new one). If it's a totally new filter your tank is going to re-cycle, so I'd try to use as much of the current media as you can.

Since both tanks are using the same tap water, you don't really need to acclimate, just match temps. You can move the substrate and filter over, then the fish and 10g of water. Then fill it up to the top with dechlorinated water. Not much different from doing a 70% water change, except you're disturbing the substrate. Make sure you move the existing filter over, even if you bought another one. You can run both filters for a while until the new one cycles, but you need to keep the old filter running or re-cycle like librarygirl said.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Since both tanks are using the same tap water, you don't really need to acclimate, just match temps. You can move the substrate and filter over, then the fish and 10g of water. Then fill it up to the top with dechlorinated water. Not much different from doing a 70% water change, except you're disturbing the substrate. Make sure you move the existing filter over, even if you bought another one. You can run both filters for a while until the new one cycles, but you need to keep the old filter running or re-cycle like librarygirl said.

--Adeeb

I agree no need to worry since your using the filter substrate and even decor I assume.. You can just set everything up wait half an hour and add fish.

I just went from 12 to 29 gallons 2 days ago. I did use all of my old water, gravel, decor and a large piece of old filter media in the new filter. I didn't do a drip acclimation. I added my fish when my water was about 50-50 old and new, always matching temps using Prime to dechlor. I filled the tank the rest of the way over the course of the afternoon. I did put a submersible heater under the water to help keep the temp stable as soon as the tank was half full.

I also temporarily increased the heat in my room to about 74F (I keep my tank at 76 and my room temp is normally 68 in the winter). That's something I don't see people mention much, but temporarily increasing the room temp will help keep things nice for your fish during the move, including their time in the net, however brief that is.

Back
Top Bottom