Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Neighbor's Cat Killing Fish And Furniture. . . Please Help

My neighbor's cat has destroyed about a thousand dollars worth of fish and furniture in my house (clawed a hole in the screen door so that she can get in)I have my guppies in a pond in the warmer months (which is about 9 months of the year) so that I can best mimic their natural habitat and living conditions. This cat comes and kills my guppies, the plants, and the fry, not to mention using my leather furniture as scratching posts. I'm also allergic to cats and it comes into my house and catifies it (I know it's not a word) How can I get it to stop killing my fish? Yesterday it killed my favorite male. He had the biggest tail I'd ever seen and was amazingly colorful and a good breeder. I walked outside to find it clawing at my pond. There wasn't much I could do. It had slashed him. How can I stop this cat from destroying more of my fish and furniture? (but mainly the fish)

Old 10-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll tell you what I tell everybody, trap the cat and take it to the humane society. Press charges for the couch as having an animal on the loose that walks into people's houses is illegal. The neighbor's obviously aren't responsible for their animal and don't care about it. They are lucky they don't have somebody in the neighborhood that will shoot it. Cats outside are at risk from cars, people, other animals, diseases and much more. You'll be doing the cat a favor by trapping it and you will be helping the neighbors to realize what kind of pet owners they are.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
another trick that works well with cats, and dogs for that matter, is mouse traps. Place them in strategic locations. Usually once is all it takes.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree. Small claims court and the humane society.
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You never mentioned talking to the cat owner though? Do you know the cat owner? Maybe they aren't aware what a holy terror their furry friend is....is that possible. If the owners already know and aren't doing anything to resolve the situation then I agree with the court and humane society option. But if they don't know then definitely talk with them as many people leave their cats out all day and have no idea what the buggers are up to.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

1st before we get all into trapping animals, have you contacted the neighbor and talked about it. Everyone is so sue him sue them nowadays it makes me sick. Be Good Phamily.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I know people who squirt lemon juice and sprinkle pepper around their gardens to keep stray cats away. I've tried it indoors around electrical equipment when my cat was a kitten and it worked well. I've no idea if this is feasible around a pond.

Hope you get some satisfaction for your losses. Your restraint and level-headedness is amazing.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasticaqua
1st before we get all into trapping animals, have you contacted the neighbor and talked about it. Everyone is so sue him sue them nowadays it makes me sick. Be Good Phamily.
So very true! However, when personal property damage is done, the pet owner (knowingly or not) is ultimately liable. Perhaps court or the H.S. isn't needed if an agreement can be reached so I'll retract my statement along those lines lines.

P.S. - I have a cat so it's not that I'm anti-cat.
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepotFish
I'll tell you what I tell everybody, trap the cat and take it to the humane society. Press charges for the couch as having an animal on the loose that walks into people's houses is illegal. The neighbor's obviously aren't responsible for their animal and don't care about it. They are lucky they don't have somebody in the neighborhood that will shoot it. Cats outside are at risk from cars, people, other animals, diseases and much more. You'll be doing the cat a favor by trapping it and you will be helping the neighbors to realize what kind of pet owners they are.
If you do that, you are sentencing the cat to death.

Talk to your neighbors and see if they what they have to say and if they would cooperative. Maybe put something over the pond that the cat can't get into, replace the screen on your door that the cat scratched through- with something other than screen. See if your neighbors will pay for it.

The cat is doing what is natural to it- don't punish the cat for not knowing any better.

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
the cat can be trained out of the bad behaviour.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com