Neolamprologus brichardi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the opportunity to trade some plants for the above fish, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I have a 29 gallon tank with 50% sand and 50% fluorite substrate, planted.

pH around 7.5
kH 4,
GH 15

tankmates:
black neon tetras
harlequin rasporas
1m/1f guppy w/ babies
2 cories
2 ottos

I think that's it.

Should i do it? TIA

Your tank isn't big enough and Bichardi are an African cichlid from Lake Tanganyika and will shred your fish apart even if the tank was big enough.

Okay thanks. Some of what I read on the 'net says anywhere from 20g and up, but then again it's the 'net . . .

Yeah, I was thinking if I did get 'em I would have to make it a species tank only.

They will get along with some other cichlids providing there is plenty of space. I keep them in a 20 gallon by themselves but keep a 10 gallon for breeding purposes. They are peaceful fish but will defend their fry at all cost. They were my first delve into the cichlid world. Still one of my favorite fish.

Any chance they would do okay with corydorus (2) in the tank? the cories are pretty big, about 2".

I don't see why there would be a problem other than different water they come from. The L. Brichardi like harder waters with higher ph while most cories perfer soft, acidic water.

well i have around 8 brichardis (7 of them are babies) ina 29 gallon tank. the only fish ive found that dont get nipped at are hatchetfish and plecos.

sooo.. cories didnt work for me. otos might, but i doubt it. pretty much any fish that lives in the bottom 3/4's of the tank will get attacked.

Nice link Simpte, I haven't seen that one yet. I was told at cichlid-forum.com that my KH of 4 is too low, and to include some coral in the tank/filter. Do you think that's necessary??
krap101 said:
the only fish ive found that dont get nipped at are hatchetfish and plecos. . . . pretty much any fish that lives in the bottom 3/4's of the tank will get attacked
I'm not too sure about this statement. I've always wanted a little community of hatchetfish, but don't they require acidic water? AND, don't plecos usually spend their time in the bottom regions of the tank?

Thanks for the responses!

Your KH really is too low, and you really do need to buffer your water up. These fish are very used to alkaline, hard water.

Brichardi are voracious colonizers. When they begin to breed, they defend their fry staunchly. Brichardi have been known to take over tanks with their colonizing, and the fact that they kill or drive out anything else to protect their young.

Some people manage to keep Altolamprologus calvus with them to keep the fry population under control. Honestly, they do best in a species setup, where you can appreciate the unique behaviors.

A 29 gallon tank is fine for them, but you'll want to move out those tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom