Neon tetra...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just a quick question about my brand new neon tetra.
I ve just added them to my new tank...

I have 6 of them (in a 20 g high planted at 45 %).

One of them has a little white/transparent bubble on his mouth. The bottom part of his mouth. It kinda look like a blister.

What could that be ?

Ammonia 1
Nitrite 0.15
Temperature was high at first (27), now it's lower (about 25)
Ph 7.1
Gh 5

The tank is cycling. The neon are in there since wednesday.

Fish store guy told me that neon tetra are ok to cycle.... Im not so sure about that anymore.

I gave up on fishless cycle... :(

The tetra did not have that little bubble at the fish store.

Fish store guy told me that neon tetra are ok to cycle.... Im not so sure about that anymore.
No!!!!! Neons really need a cycled tank. They are not as strong as they used to be due to over breeding.

You need to do a 50% PWC immediately. Your cycle will take longer, but you must put the needs of the fish first.

Neon is a fragile fish. Make sure to tank's water in top condition all the time or do not surprise if you lose all of them.

good luck.

Thoses fish store people makes me so mad.

I try my best to read a lot and inform myself on all the aspect of fish keeping. I want to be a responsible fish keeper. But sometimes you go to the fish store and start talking with someone that seems to know what he is talking about, you ask question and he tells you stuff that sound new to you and kinda belive them. You doubt yourself sometimes. And in the end, you find out that he has less knowledge that yourself...

Seriously..... This is the last time that I belive anything someone working at a fish store tells me !!!!!! :agrue:

The best thing, IMO, is to look at the LFS, gather info and go home. Then look up the info yourself, or ask here.
The good thing is the cycle has started, since you have ammonia and nitrites. Now you just have to keep them in check and hope the nitrates show up soon! :D

My neon tetra with the blister still has it tonight. He eat well and seems normal. However, I would like to know what to do about it. Im scared that he might have some kind of sickness and give it to the other fish and infect my tank. Or could it be something normal...Maby im just paranoid. This is my first tank so it's kind of a big thing for me.

I ve been looking through the web sites provided by Menagerie.
The only thing that I found would be Columnaris (Flexibacter columnaris).

But I could not say for sure. Does anybody knows about a web site with actual picture of neon tetra sickness ?

Melafix is a nature oil and will not hurt the bacteria in the filter. It is a general fixer, although not strong enough for most serious diseases. I use it when I see frayed fins or stressed fish. In the past I have used it in combination with another med to prevent secondary infections.

Go ahead and add it to the tank, it won't hurt. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Is there any way you could return these fish? Primarily because they are a poor choice for cycling a tank, and secondly because of the (what I suspect) gas bubble disease. Then you could give fishless another try, and we can certainly help you through that, without the worry of stressing fish to get the cycle done. Once the tank is mature then you can get yourself some neons and they'll likely do much better.

Sorry you've had this trouble! You would expect only the very best advice from the LFS but it is really and truly not the case, and not just where you are. :(

Actually, for some reason, I did not see any ammonia and nitrite since the addition of my neon tetra. I have the impression that after all thoses days of fishless cycling some bacteria managed to growth. I am really happy about this and hope that im not going to get a surprise eventually. :crazyeyes:

Thank you all for thoses precious advise !! :D

I am suspecting that all thoses plants help too to take care of the ammonia !!

What is the gas bubble disease ?? The tetra in question still has it !
It s not any bigger and the fish seems fine... (he eats well and hang out with the rest of the school).

Gas bubble disease is uncommon but presents like what you describe, with a literal "bubble" that usually protrudes from the eye or mouth area. This has to do with the way the fish metabolizes O2 in the water, and is often cured with water changes and attention to water quality.

Neon tetra disease will involve the red stripe disappearing and the shape of the fish changing, so I don't think that is it.

Vega - it is so true - you have to balance the risk of treating with meds and destroying the biofilter with the benefits of saving the fish, and this is why a Q-tank is so important.

Back
Top Bottom