Neon tetra missing an eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! Yesterday I noticed one of my older neon tetras seems to be missing an eye. Either that or it's clouded over, it's really hard to tell. He seems to be fine otherwise and the water tests are fine too. No other problems with any of the other fish. Yesterday, I did get 4 albino cherry barbs and 2 gold barbs added to my tank but I don't think they had anything to do with it, I haven't seen any signs of aggression. It could have been missing before yesterday but I only just noticed it. Is it anything to worry about? Here's a pic, sorry it's a little blurry.

img_1464201_0_b64c00fd13542f18a1e10e9c176b28fb.jpg

Hmmm, I still see his eye but it is a little cloudy... You sure the barbs haven't done anything? I've heard stories of them being aggressive if there isn't enough "members" of the school.

The barbs seem fine. They're very active and mostly stick together. I've seen them swim through the school of neons and the neons scatter but it's not aggressive, more like, "pardon me, coming through!"

Oh, okay that's good to hear... If that's the case I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure to keep an eye out.

Oh, okay that's good to hear... If that's the case I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure to keep an eye out.
will do. I was just worried because I recently lost another fish that was pretty old and I was afraid the neon was sick or something. It's almost like he doesn't even notice anything's wrong with him though, he's acting perfectly normal, eating and schooling with the other 7 neons.

I've had him for almost 2 years now, though I have no idea how old he was when I got him. He went through a lot though, my tank had gotten really bad for a while and most of my fish died. He was one of the few that survived.

He sounds like a fighter... So if everything is fine and he's acting normal it may possibly be old age. But like I said, keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom