Neon tetra red gills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it normal for the neon tetras to have red fills? I only notice it in 2 of my 5
Any ideas?

Red Gills

Is it normal for the neon tetras to have red fills? I only notice it in 2 of my 5
Any ideas?

Hello flav...

The fishes' gills are irritated by something, likely dissolved in the water. If you're not removing and replacing half the water in the tank every week, then even slight traces of dissolved toxins can be in the water.

Do yourself and your fish and plants a favor by changing half the tank water every week. I like to make my new water a little warmer than that in the tank. A little warmth and lots of pure, treated tap water constantly moving through the tank will guarantee stable water conditions and healthier fish and plants.

Just a thought.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello flav...

The fishes' gills are irritated by something, likely dissolved in the water. If you're not removing and replacing half the water in the tank every week, then even slight traces of dissolved toxins can be in the water.

Do yourself and your fish and plants a favor by changing half the tank water every week. I like to make my new water a little warmer than that in the tank. A little warmth and lots of pure, treated tap water constantly moving through the tank will guarantee stable water conditions and healthier fish and plants.

Just a thought.

B

Sounds like a good idea. I also add some aquarium salt to the water which I heard is good for the gills as well.

Standard Aquarium Salt

Hello again flav...

Good idea to add a little salt. Keep the amount to no more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your new water. More than that can have a negative affect on your aquarium plants. You can dose this small amount of salt indefinitely.

I've dosed a little aquarium salt in my tanks every week for several years with what I would call good results. Never had issues with parasites, viruses, etc. in that time, good for the fishes' immune system too.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again flav...

Good idea to add a little salt. Keep the amount to no more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your new water. More than that can have a negative affect on your aquarium plants. You can dose this small amount of salt indefinitely.

I've dosed a little aquarium salt in my tanks every week for several years with what I would call good results. Never had issues with parasites, viruses, etc. in that time, good for the fishes' immune system too.

B

Yes :) i do normally put aquarium salt every week when I make my water change.
Hopefully the red gills go away.

Back
Top Bottom