Neon Tetra with fat belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a couple of tetras with fat bellies. The others are bigger and leaner.

I tried to take a picture of them. We have 6 total the one that I am concerned about is the smallest and stays out of the school a lot.

My tank is cycling
we have Ammonia of .5
Nitrites of 0
the Ph is 8

This guy has been pudgy since the beginning. The others have grown bigger but not him/her. Anyway just wanted to see if there was anything I needed to do.

The fish I am concerned about is the one in the upper right of the picture.
Thanks!
Jana

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,840
NO! LOL we are in the process of cycling. Do fry survive on their own? I'm new NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I'm not ready for newborns!

Tetra are pretty great, they are very strong. You are fine even if they don't survive. Neon's tend to look rather big when eating.

Scouser said:
Lol what?

Neon tetra females are rounder and fatter than their male counterparts.

They carry eggs, they do not get pregnant...

Exactly right. Neons are egg scatterers. The females scatter the eggs as the male fertilizes them. Any eggs present are fertilized by the male outside of the female's body, therefore, the fish does not get "pregnant".

Neons are unlikely to spawn in captivity IMO, but even if they did the chances of you ever seeing fry are pretty much zero. Neons exhibit no parental care whatsoever and will readily eat their own eggs.

Scouser said:
Lol what?

Neon tetra females are rounder and fatter than their male counterparts.

They carry eggs, they do not get pregnant...

Yah, I must have been sleeping through this post........disreguard that misshap! Ha

is my neon tetra going to die?

hi, i've read through all the posts and looked throuhg all the photos but my neon tetra has a MASSIVE belly it's literally like the size of this smiley face:((but in 3D and the fish is only two and a half that size)
please reply as soon as possible i'm really worried about it

thank you so much:)

How is your Neon? Mine are just females I guess. I feed them and the 2 that I have just get really fat and look like they are going to burst then it seems to pass. I just wrote it off.

Does yours possibly have dropsy? I did have one that had popeye and was pine coning I couldn't tell if he/she had dropsy. They are so small it is hard to tell whats going on.

Jana

Back
Top Bottom