Neon Tetras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought two Neon Tetras to cycle a 5 gallon aquarium and they won't leave each other alone! They keep chasing and attacking each other. I don't know what to do...I know neons are suppose to be in larger groups, but I plan on moving these two into my larger aquarium with the others when the tank is cycled. I'm afraid that they are going to hurt each other. The aggressor seems to be a small female. What should I do?

Wendy, welcome to AquariumAdvice!!!

2 important points:

1. Neon Tetras are *not* cycling fish. They are, in fact, some of the most sensitive fish in the trade, and will certainly die if ammonia levels rise. Trust me, we all have experience with this.

2. Agression: this often happens when you place a small number of tetras together. Return these 2 to the larger tank and get some zebra danios to cycle the tank. You will not regret it. Danios are hardy!

Hope you enjoy our community here! 3000+ members now!

Yeah, what he said, lol. Tetras are so sensitive that many can't keep them in well established tanks!

I said he....look up...

Ok, ok, so I edited it after you pointed it out...lol, but I gotcha for a second there, didn't I??? :wink:

Oh, ok thanks. I wasn't aware that they were so sensitive. But then again, I'm pretty new to neons any way. I moved 'em out and into the big tank. I'll try to pick up the Danios tommorrow. Thanks!

Hehe. NO! 8O I checked like 5 times to make sure I wasn't making a false claim! Nice try though!!

Ok, so you got me for half a second, though... I often lose confidence! My g/f always seems to be able to catch me out on things I'm sure about! :oops:

:D

BTW, did you ever talk with AlliV about a NYAquarium Trip? I might be meeting her this weekend for a bit to show her New World Aquarium in NYC. Hopefully a group of us can make it to the NYA some time!

My ears were ringing ;)

I'm SO ready for a NY aquarium trip; was at Norwalk aquarium tonite *grin*

Anyway, welcome to Aquarumadvice wendy!

Yeah, neons can be REAL tetchy, especially the ones on the east coast. We figure it has something to do with the breeders/supply. Do keep a close eye on em; they are notorious for coming down with something known as Neon Tetra Disease, for which there is no cure. You'll know they have it when they start losing color, even when the lights are on all day (they tend to fade at night; some sort of camoflauge).

ooooh i love neon tetra...they are eye candies!!!! i'm gonna get some very very very soon hihi

Back
Top Bottom