Neon Tetras....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I originally purchased them I thought they were going to be schooling fish; however, I have noticed in the past 3 weeks, all they do is hide at the bottom of tank in the plants ...they don't miss a meal..lol...they definitely come out to eat and may swim for a little while (once they realize feeding is over) then they go back.....they may come out also at night for a little....is this normal???

Neons can be like that especially if they feel threatened by bigger fish. As they grow bigger they often times get more confidence and will come out more. It helps if the tank is heavily planted and not too bright of lighting. I had to change out my halide bulbs from 10000K to 6000K to make the tank light softer/dimmer for my rummynose tetras. They are out and about alot more now.

What else is in the tank? I've heard of this with Neons depending if there are much larger fish in the tank.

I have 4 neons in my tank and when I first got them they missed a few meals in the beginning cause they didn't realize that I was dropping food in. So I let some flakes sink and they would go for that. Then one would disappear and hide for like a whole day and reappear. Finally after I'd say almost a month they came out of their shell. They started feeding with the other fish and the immediately come to the top when they see me and they don't hide anymore. I'd say its normal just give them some time to settle in :)

Back
Top Bottom