Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Neon Tetras in 5 gallon tank

I have a new 5 gallon tank that I added 3 neon tetras in (no other fish). I had the water tested before I bought the fish (added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish). Now I'm reading that I'm not supposed to have anything except one betta in a 5 gallon tank and wasn't supposed to start a new tank with tetras? I can't take the fish back, and I like them, their colors are pretty. Can I just leave things as is? Eventually I wanted to add 2 pigmy cories, but not for another month or so, and one cherry shrimp, and then I was going to stop there.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

The neon tetras are alright in the tank the question is where it is cycled or not. Even if you put the live bacteria in the tank and then let it run for 2 weeks the "live" bacteria would have starved off by then with no amonia or nitrites to consume.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #3

Go out and find the API Master kit, and give us some readings. Sadly, your tetras won't be all that happy in the 5 gallon, is there Any way you could upgrade to a 10?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You'll want to do pwc's, and while you might get away with the three neons, that would be it. Even then they would be happier in a cycled, larger tank... And so would you. Do you have stuff to test the water, and how long have you had the fish
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should read up on cycling a new tank. Frequent water changes will be a must to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down. I definatly don't reccomend any species of tetra other than maybe an ember tetra for such a small tank. I agree that neons would be more at home in a cycled 10g tank.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, kinda got the spectrum of opinions they, didn't ya
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Neon tetras are social, schooling fish and they should be kept in groups of 6 or more. They might seem inactive, but they should really be kept in a minimum of a 10 gallon tank in order to provide them with the proper sized school. Only 3 fish means they will be constantly stressed out and be more suseptible to diseases like ich, etc.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysiarose View Post
I have a new 5 gallon tank that I added 3 neon tetras in (no other fish). I had the water tested before I bought the fish (added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish). Now I'm reading that I'm not supposed to have anything except one betta in a 5 gallon tank and wasn't supposed to start a new tank with tetras? I can't take the fish back, and I like them, their colors are pretty. Can I just leave things as is? Eventually I wanted to add 2 pigmy cories, but not for another month or so, and one cherry shrimp, and then I was going to stop there.
Neon tetras should be kept in a school of atleast 6 and, 10 gals is really the bare minimum for them. Pygmy cories are shoalers that should also be kept in groups of atleast 6 and also in a minimum of 10 gals. You really must have a master test kit to successfully keep an aquarium. I know the cost seems like a lot, but if you only have a tank or two it's going to last you a while. You really should be able to take the fish back. Any petco, petsmart, or even most mom and pop lfs' will rehome fish for you. I'm not sure what you meant by "added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish" but your tank definitely wasn't cycled within 2 weeks time. You don't want the pet store testing your water for you. They are in the business of selling fish, not telling people they shouldn't be buying fish. Here's some helpful links:
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ing/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
If you're tank was not cycled and you do not have a test kit the tetras likely won't survive for long anyway, unfortunately.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am in a small apartment and a 5 gallon tank is all I can fit in it. I got the MiniBow 5 gallon with filter, and a heater. I put in some plastic plants and a bridge. I put Biozyme in the water every day for two weeks, and the pet store tested for nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, etc. The tank grew some algae in it. I'm doing a 10% water change every day while the fish are in it for the next month. Eventually I wanted to add a catfish and a cherry shrimp to complete the mini tank.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva

Neon tetras should be kept in a school of atleast 6 and, 10 gals is really the bare minimum for them. Pygmy cories are shoalers that should also be kept in groups of atleast 6 and also in a minimum of 10 gals. You really must have a master test kit to successfully keep an aquarium. I know the cost seems like a lot, but if you only have a tank or two it's going to last you a while. You really should be able to take the fish back. Any petco, petsmart, or even most mom and pop lfs' will rehome fish for you. I'm not sure what you meant by "added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish" but your tank definitely wasn't cycled within 2 weeks time. You don't want the pet store testing your water for you. They are in the business of selling fish, not telling people they shouldn't be buying fish. Here's some helpful links:
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ing/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
If you're tank was not cycled and you do not have a test kit the tetras likely won't survive for long anyway, unfortunately.
A mini master test kit goes for 25? and it gives you what u need ph ammonia nitrates and nitirtes

Tags
5 gallon, neon, neon tetra, neon tetras, tan, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com