Neon Tetras in 5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krysiarose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 5 gallon tank that I added 3 neon tetras in (no other fish). I had the water tested before I bought the fish (added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish). Now I'm reading that I'm not supposed to have anything except one betta in a 5 gallon tank and wasn't supposed to start a new tank with tetras? I can't take the fish back, and I like them, their colors are pretty. Can I just leave things as is? Eventually I wanted to add 2 pigmy cories, but not for another month or so, and one cherry shrimp, and then I was going to stop there.

The neon tetras are alright in the tank the question is where it is cycled or not. Even if you put the live bacteria in the tank and then let it run for 2 weeks the "live" bacteria would have starved off by then with no amonia or nitrites to consume.

Go out and find the API Master kit, and give us some readings. Sadly, your tetras won't be all that happy in the 5 gallon, is there Any way you could upgrade to a 10?

You'll want to do pwc's, and while you might get away with the three neons, that would be it. Even then they would be happier in a cycled, larger tank... And so would you. Do you have stuff to test the water, and how long have you had the fish

You should read up on cycling a new tank. Frequent water changes will be a must to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down. I definatly don't reccomend any species of tetra other than maybe an ember tetra for such a small tank. I agree that neons would be more at home in a cycled 10g tank.

Neon tetras are social, schooling fish and they should be kept in groups of 6 or more. They might seem inactive, but they should really be kept in a minimum of a 10 gallon tank in order to provide them with the proper sized school. Only 3 fish means they will be constantly stressed out and be more suseptible to diseases like ich, etc.

I have a new 5 gallon tank that I added 3 neon tetras in (no other fish). I had the water tested before I bought the fish (added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish). Now I'm reading that I'm not supposed to have anything except one betta in a 5 gallon tank and wasn't supposed to start a new tank with tetras? I can't take the fish back, and I like them, their colors are pretty. Can I just leave things as is? Eventually I wanted to add 2 pigmy cories, but not for another month or so, and one cherry shrimp, and then I was going to stop there.

Neon tetras should be kept in a school of atleast 6 and, 10 gals is really the bare minimum for them. Pygmy cories are shoalers that should also be kept in groups of atleast 6 and also in a minimum of 10 gals. You really must have a master test kit to successfully keep an aquarium. I know the cost seems like a lot, but if you only have a tank or two it's going to last you a while. You really should be able to take the fish back. Any petco, petsmart, or even most mom and pop lfs' will rehome fish for you. I'm not sure what you meant by "added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish" but your tank definitely wasn't cycled within 2 weeks time. You don't want the pet store testing your water for you. They are in the business of selling fish, not telling people they shouldn't be buying fish. Here's some helpful links:
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
If you're tank was not cycled and you do not have a test kit the tetras likely won't survive for long anyway, unfortunately.

I am in a small apartment and a 5 gallon tank is all I can fit in it. I got the MiniBow 5 gallon with filter, and a heater. I put in some plastic plants and a bridge. I put Biozyme in the water every day for two weeks, and the pet store tested for nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, etc. The tank grew some algae in it. I'm doing a 10% water change every day while the fish are in it for the next month. Eventually I wanted to add a catfish and a cherry shrimp to complete the mini tank.

siva said:
Neon tetras should be kept in a school of atleast 6 and, 10 gals is really the bare minimum for them. Pygmy cories are shoalers that should also be kept in groups of atleast 6 and also in a minimum of 10 gals. You really must have a master test kit to successfully keep an aquarium. I know the cost seems like a lot, but if you only have a tank or two it's going to last you a while. You really should be able to take the fish back. Any petco, petsmart, or even most mom and pop lfs' will rehome fish for you. I'm not sure what you meant by "added chemicals and bacteria and it circulated two weeks before I got the fish" but your tank definitely wasn't cycled within 2 weeks time. You don't want the pet store testing your water for you. They are in the business of selling fish, not telling people they shouldn't be buying fish. Here's some helpful links:
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
If you're tank was not cycled and you do not have a test kit the tetras likely won't survive for long anyway, unfortunately.

A mini master test kit goes for 25? and it gives you what u need ph ammonia nitrates and nitirtes

If you can't fit a ten gallon the I would do 6 neons and that's it I know it sounds simple but even that is too much for a 5 gallon but they MIGHT do ok

I agree. 6 neons in a 5 gallon would probably do just fine. It's not 100% ideal, but you could pull it off. You can also add shrimp, but I wouldn't add the cories.

if you get the master test kit get it at walmart its cheaper by about $5 just check the date it was made

Unfortunately most catfish are shoalers or schoolers and can't really be kept solo..and none of them are suitable for a 5 gal tank.

There could be no ammo, nitrite, or nitrate in water yet if you hadn't introduced a ammo source. Such as pure ammo from the bottle, or the waste from fish.

I definately agree that no catfish belongs in a 5g. If you want a bottom feeder Rosenweiss is correct that a shrimp would make a great cleanup crew. I am partial to ghost shrimp since they are cheap and pretty hardy IME.

Great advice. Ghost shrimp really are the perfect scavengers for your 5 gal. :)

Yea ghost shrimp are a great suggestion, even better you can get them for like 30 cents a piece from petco or petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom