Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

neon tetras, their life span, and you

Just out of curiosity, since these fish seem to be so freaking fragile, what is the longest someone has owned a neon tetra?

So far for me it's 2 years.

Megalofyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and if your wondering or didn't know according to the literature their life span is supposed to be 10 years.

Old 11-18-2003, 01:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
*Hey Megalofyia!* Plese don't take offense at this post! It's not meant to be rude!

What literature states this? Internet sites, books, scientific journals? Did you read this at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/neon.htm ?

I've read more like 3-4 years max in a couple of books. I'll check on that, though. Petsmart.com has "The Neon Tetra has a ten year average life span" written on their page. What a ridiculous thing to state, though. By whose standards of average? If you averaged all aquarium-dwelling NTs, you'd probably get an average life of 4 days. If you averaged lives in the wild, you'd probably get a few hours or a day (most eggs or fry eaten immediately...). Well, sorry. The wording is just pretty poorly thought-out!

I'd love it if they do have such a lifespan--much more time to enjoy them! It's hard to believe, though!

If I remember, I'll read up on this...

As for me, I've only kept mine for a few months, but they're going strong! 8)
Old 11-18-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a school of neons for a year an a half until a moved and nuked the tank with the softened water.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had horrible luck with neons. Every time I bought them all execpt one would die! It happend so often I think it was the supplier to the LFS that I got them from.

I switched to Cardinals....Had to save up longer to get a good school, but in the long run it worked out cheaper!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasafish
*Hey Megalofyia!* Plese don't take offense at this post! It's not meant to be rude!

What literature states this? Internet sites, books, scientific journals? Did you read this at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/neon.htm ?

I've read more like 3-4 years max in a couple of books. I'll check on that, though. Petsmart.com has "The Neon Tetra has a ten year average life span" written on their page. What a ridiculous thing to state, though. By whose standards of average? If you averaged all aquarium-dwelling NTs, you'd probably get an average life of 4 days. If you averaged lives in the wild, you'd probably get a few hours or a day (most eggs or fry eaten immediately...). Well, sorry. The wording is just pretty poorly thought-out!

I'd love it if they do have such a lifespan--much more time to enjoy them! It's hard to believe, though!

If I remember, I'll read up on this...

As for me, I've only kept mine for a few months, but they're going strong! 8)

ok um.. yeah.. that would have been the point of my post. That I've read that they have this long life span when in reality I've yet to hear of someone who's actually had a neon tetra longer than 2 or so years.

Anyways if you still don't believe me. . . here are some links.

http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/allpets/fish/neontetra.htm
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/answers...cle_3937.shtml
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/neon.htm
http://petplace.netscape.com/Article...asp?artID=3004
Old 11-18-2003, 08:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
I've read 10 years as well. I think you have to have a **** stable tank for it to work though, never moved, never changed out much, same fish, 10 years.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
My current neon's are a little over a year old... They are as big as my guppies!

My cardinals are much younger....

I bought 2 neons still have 2. I bought 5 cardinals still have 5.

West Coast ROCKS..

Maybe species tank would help with longevity. Maybe pH is a factor..
Old 11-18-2003, 05:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Xabien
I bought 6 neon tetras to cycle my 33 gallon tank. I put them in after the tank had been going 6 days. One neon died in the first week. My tank has been running for months now and all 5 are going strong and getting quite big. Quite proud of myself

Tags
neon, neon tetra, neon tetras, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com