Neon Tetras With Betta Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
Planning on keeping small fish in my 40 litre and was told Neon Tetras can be mixed with Betta fish (planning 1 male), is that correct? Want to double check before I go ahead.

Planning on keeping small fish in my 40 litre and was told Neon Tetras can be mixed with Betta fish (planning 1 male), is that correct? Want to double check before I go ahead.
I had bettas an neons and my betta ate one. But right now I have the same betta with tiny - medium sized platy fry and he doesn't bug them at all. It's really individual temperament, I'd do it then just watch the numbers. They should be fast enough to get away and as long as the betta is fed it should be fine!

I had bettas an neons and my betta ate one. But right now I have the same betta with tiny - medium sized platy fry and he doesn't bug them at all. It's really individual temperament, I'd do it then just watch the numbers. They should be fast enough to get away and as long as the betta is fed it should be fine!

Would be better to purchase the neons first and then buy the betta later on, so the betta is introduced to the neons already in the tank?

A great combination as long as the betta will allow it. I've kept up to 24 neons with a betta and never had an issue. The catch is the betta, some will not tolerate any tank mates, others don't care. As was suggested, neons first then the betta. Watch for any signs of aggression and be prepared to take action if necessary.

I currently have a betta with 11 neons and 5 Endler males without any issues. But as already stated it all depends on the temperament of the individual betta.

Back
Top Bottom