Neons fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some neons and two dwarf gourami's helping get my 75g cycling. neons were the first fish and I was going to get 12. guy said he'd give me 12 and charge me for ten. They were large neons btw. anyway got home and there were only ten. everybody got along and schooled well. went to store about a week later and told they guy about being shorted two fish. he gave me two new ones, but they weren't the large ones. put them in and ever since. everyone is fighting. chasing harassing, will not leave each other alone. I thought I had the bad apple single out but now it just seems to be everyone. the new fish don't seem to be involved but hard to tell. they are not schooling and are hanging by themselves or in small groups.

anyone know whats going on and if I can do anything?

no they are definately all neons from a reputable store. forgot to tell him that it was large neons that I was shorted but figured they'll grow up. sorry but my camera is screwed up so I can't take a picture of the culprit. there are several culprits now. did I introduce females or something. you would think in a lot of ten, there were already females.

the one difference with the culprit is that h seems to have a space after his gills that show red. like there is an extra sliver of space after the gill and your looking right at his blood????

I think this is typical behavior of a large neon tetra school. I believe that once their school is large enough and they feel secure then they start to duke it out among themselves. I see this kind of behavior all the time in my school of 23 neons.

This is typical tetra behavior. Most tetra species exibit similar behavior in schools. I would however recommend getting at least 8 more, and this will most likely cause them to school in larger groups and it may stop some of the fighting.

Back
Top Bottom