Nerite snails out of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine do that when they are cleaning, they just turn around and head back down :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine do that for two reasons:

sometimes there is some tasty algae to eat there from when the water was higher

Or it's an indicator of a needed water change. I always check the water when I have more than one out and 1:3 times it could use a change.

I usually gently remove them and pop them back in either way. I worry they will dry out.

Ya the water is fine. Probably just eating then it seems weird, I worry they'll dry out too.

Mine kept escaping and I would find it on the floor. I would pop it back and water and after a while it was fine. Did that one time too many, though, and eventually bit the dust. I didn't get anymore Nerites after that. In good about water changes, so I figured there was just something in my water it doesn't like. Shrimp don't survive either. Gave up on this too.

Mine escape as there are loaches, they would hang slightly above the water surface during the day, going back into the water at night.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nerite snails regularly leave the water, when I lived in Florida I would find them quite a ways up the grasses in the salt marsh, it's just a natural habitat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine kept escaping and I would find it on the floor. I would pop it back and water and after a while it was fine. Did that one time too many, though, and eventually bit the dust. I didn't get anymore Nerites after that. In good about water changes, so I figured there was just something in my water it doesn't like. Shrimp don't survive either. Gave up on this too.

Maybe you had some copper in your water? I know inverts and copper don't mix

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My snails lay their eggs above the water line, not sure if the Nerite Snails do

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Maybe you had some copper in your water? I know inverts and copper don't mix

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Could be, except that I have assassin snails that have been doing fine for about a year now and have even produced offspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nerite snails regularly leave the water, when I lived in Florida I would find them quite a ways up the grasses in the salt marsh, it's just a natural habitat.

Again, it is a natural behavior for them to leave the water occasionally

This.

They're tidal snails and probably fine. They also won't dry out (assuming they don't escape onto your floor lol).

This.

They're tidal snails and probably fine. They also won't dry out (assuming they don't escape onto your floor lol).

+1. They live on the coast of rocky areas naturally, meaning they have adapted to the rise and fall of the tides. They are able to suction on to a surface veeeery tightly, trapping the moisture inside so they won't try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You guys have a wealth of nerite knowledge! Kudos. I will leave my snails be from now on. If they want to chill above the water lime for a few hours do be it.

Just make sure they don't end up on the floor :)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom