Nerites or otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Which are better for eliminating/eating diatoms "brown algae" and green algae , nerite snails or otocinclus'?

Both enjoy the algaes noted and each are very interesting creatures.

I would probably go with the nerites, it's best to add oto's to an established tank (diatoms are usually found in new tanks) and Oto's really need to be in groups so you would have to add more otos than snails.

I'd go with the Nerites.

Both enjoy the algaes noted and each are very interesting creatures.

I would probably go with the nerites, it's best to add oto's to an established tank (diatoms are usually found in new tanks) and Oto's really need to be in groups so you would have to add more otos than snails.

I'd go with the Nerites.

My tank's been established for a few years, but I still get diatoms. My tank gets no direct sunlight and the tank light was on for 8 hrs. (white lights for 4 and blue lights for 4), but I recently reduced the lights to 6 hrs. (whites for 3 and blue for 3).

Oh okay...

With the Otos it's mainly being able to purchase healthy stock and then supply a sufficient and stable food source which is a bit more tricky than the snails....

If you've never kept otos, I'd purchase a grounp and give them a try....

Oh okay...

With the Otos it's mainly being able to purchase healthy stock and then supply a sufficient and stable food source which is a bit more tricky than the snails....

If you've never kept otos, I'd purchase a grounp and give them a try....

I have one currently, but he never cleans my plastic plants, just the glass.

Don't nerites lay infertile eggs all over the place and make your tank look unsightly with them?

If you already have one Otto, go with more Otto's. They need to be in a group of 5 or more.

Nerite snails do lay infertile eggs everywhere if you have more than one.

If you already have one Otto, go with more Otto's. They need to be in a group of 5 or more.

Nerite snails do lay infertile eggs everywhere if you have more than one.

But my oto won't clean my fake plants, just the glass; that's why I thought about going with nerite snails cuz they will clean EVERYTHING.

It's a coin toss, cleaner tank with white egg spots, or dirty plants and clean glass :/ it's why I won't get nerites, but I have mts snails so I guess they deal with most stuff (can't say for sure because I don't have diatoms)

My tank's been established for a few years, but I still get diatoms. My tank gets no direct sunlight and the tank light was on for 8 hrs. (white lights for 4 and blue lights for 4), but I recently reduced the lights to 6 hrs. (whites for 3 and blue for 3).
What is the diff between whites and blues?

And I have Nerites...beautiful snails. I just scrape my glass and the other eggs on the driftwood dissolve after time. That of my fish snack on em

I love my nerites, I have three. But they don't clean everything. And you already have an otto that needs at least four more to live a happy life. If you get the nerites, you need to rehome the Otto.

I love nerites I have 3 also and they keep my tank relatively clean with my Amano shrimp.

If you have live plants run the Whites for 4 hours Min. 6 hours is ok. Forget the blue lights unless you just like them. Plants need at least 4 hours for photosynthesis AFAIK.

Diatoms ...soft brown Algae are usually from Silicates. If the algae doesn't wipe off easily it may be something else.

If you only have plastic plants ? Go live [emoji6]

My Otos love my live plants and clean them diligently. My Nerites clean glass and all over. No egg issues that I notice.
IMG_4068.jpg

Back
Top Bottom